Frictional Torque Question (Electrical Student)

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a Mechanical Science paper, specifically Task 3 which involves drawing a diagram and researching the concepts of polar moment of inertia and angular acceleration. They receive advice to look into Newton's laws, rotational motion, and the relationship between linear force and acceleration and torque and angular acceleration.
HarleyQuinn
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Hey guys, thanks for taking a peek at my post! <3

For a part of my Electrical Engineering course we are required to complete a Mechanical Science paper, for which we only had very few lessons. As it's not my area of expertise or focus, I'm flicking through what little notes I have and pretty much going insane! I've reached Task 3, and I've hit a wall.

If anyone could give me a nudge in the right direction (or even spell it out for me!) I'd appreciate it.

Ok so here's the question:

ed7bec6c2b.png

I've tinkered with a few formulas but the only examples I have in my notes that are remotely similar to this task are too different from this one for me to be confident enough to apply my knowledge here.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) Draw a nice big clear diagram of what you think this mechanical system looks like . Mark in any forces that you think are acting . Post your diagram for us to look at .

(2) Search on keywords : ' Polar moment of Inertia ' and ' Angular Acceleration '

Come back with any questions .

Thanks for replying, I'd already drawn this going by what notes I have, but I'm not sure what P, Ff, mg or ma are. Thanks

745ea11f59.jpg

Hi HarleyQuinn. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Things you'll need to research / become familiar with in order to address this problem:

1. Newton's laws: F = ma in particular; How weight relates to mass.
2. Rotational motion: Moment of inertia, torque, radius of gyration and how it relates to the mass and moment of inertia.
3. The relationships between linear force and acceleration and torque and angular acceleration particularly when looking at forces applied to a rotating disk (drum or pulley).

Thanks I'll take a look :)

Related to Frictional Torque Question (Electrical Student)

1. What is frictional torque?

Frictional torque is a force that opposes the rotation of a body due to the friction between its moving parts. It is responsible for slowing down or stopping the rotation of a body.

2. How does frictional torque affect electrical systems?

In electrical systems, frictional torque can cause wear and tear on moving parts, leading to decreased efficiency and potential malfunctions. It can also generate heat and noise, which can be harmful to sensitive components.

3. How can frictional torque be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce frictional torque, such as using lubricants, designing smoother surfaces, and minimizing the contact area between moving parts. Proper maintenance and regular cleaning can also help decrease frictional torque.

4. Can frictional torque be beneficial in some cases?

Yes, frictional torque can be beneficial in certain situations. It can provide stability and control in mechanical systems and is essential for functions such as braking and clutch operation in vehicles.

5. How is frictional torque measured and calculated?

Frictional torque is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) and is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force and the radius of the object. The coefficient of friction is a measure of the force required to move one surface over another, and the normal force is the perpendicular force exerted on the object by the surface it is in contact with.