From nothing & nowhere to everything.

• Thread starter justcurious
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Big Bang theory and how it explains the creation and evolution of the universe. The theory does not claim that something was created from nothing, but rather describes the evolution of the universe after it came into existence. The early stages of the universe are still not fully understood and are a subject of ongoing research. The conversation also addresses the question of how the first atoms were assembled, which is still a topic of debate and research. In conclusion, the Big Bang theory is a constantly evolving and complex scientific theory that is not fully understood, and more research and evidence is needed to fully understand the origins of the universe.
justcurious
Science says that nothing existed before the BB & that all time, space & existence was created by said BB. So out of nothing came everything.

I would ask, from where & how was everything created? How did the first simple Helium Atom get assembled from a process that was explosive? The BB just does not make sense to me in many ways!

Space news on Phys.org
justcurious said:
Science says that nothing existed before the BB & that all time, space & existence was created by said BB. So out of nothing came everything.

I don't think so. People who don't understand the big bang theory say that, not "science" or most scientists. The very early part of the universe is not understood and is a subject of reserach. The big bang theory makes no claims as to the "creation" of the universe. Its a theory that describes how the universe has evolved after it was "created" or came into existence.
How did the first simple Helium Atom get assembled from a process that was explosive? The BB just does not make sense to me in many ways!

First I suggest that you should accept that the universe is under no obligation to make sense to you, or anyone. As for the first hydrogen or helium atoms, this may be a good start to read;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_nucleosynthesis

justcurious said:

As modus has pointed out, it most emphatically does NOT say that. That is the kind of nonsense statement that you hear on TV shows on the History Channel or the Discovery Channel

ModusPwnd said:
I don't think so. People who don't understand the big bang theory say that, not "science" or most scientists. The very early part of the universe is not understood and is a subject of reserach. The big bang theory makes no claims as to the "creation" of the universe. Its a theory that describes how the universe has evolved after it was "created" or came into existence.
Excuse me but every mainstream science publication that tries to explain the BB starts with the premise that nothing existed before the BB & that everything, including time & space was created by the BB. I am not sure you understand this concept.

I also read the link you provided. It does not address my question. I am asking how the components of the first simple atoms were assembled. & don't tell me that they just came into existence. Atoms have a complex combination of parts too complex to just come together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but infinitely small & infinitely dense is a clean way of saying nothing exist here. If time & space were created by the BB than where did the infinitely small point reside?
What space did it float around in waiting to do it's thing?

I am old enough to remember the first descriptions of the BB & I assure you that the theory then was that nothing existed before the BB. But the idea of nothing was not as excepted as the idea of the singularity which was just a fancy way of saying nothing existed before the BB.

Spin it anyway you want but the fact still remains that the BB supposedly created everything we see today including the space & time we have now out of nothing.

You will need to start citing sources for your statements, as per the rules of the forum.

I am amazed at how the idea of what was in existence before the BB has been glossed over by science. They can't explain it so they just push right past it like these post are doing. None of you have addressed my question at all. None of you know what I am even asking. I know how the elements are created after the fact but nobody can tell me how the parts were generated? where did protons come from? where did neutrons come from before they come together as atoms? How did up quarks, down quarks, Gluons & all the other parts of the first Atoms get assembled?
Not how did the Atoms combine to form other elements!

What exactly is so amazing about not pretending to know something one doesn't know?

The question has been answered. But again: the big bang theory doesn't state anything about something being created by nothing. Nor does it say that a singularity once existed that was infinitely dense. Nobody knows what happens in the Planck Epoch, there are a lot of theories, but no definite results.

Thread closed.

To the OP: next time you make a definite statement, please cite your sources.

Related to From nothing & nowhere to everything.

1. What is the concept of "From nothing & nowhere to everything"?

The concept refers to the idea that the universe, including all matter and energy, originated from a state of nothingness and has evolved over time to the complex and diverse universe we see today.

2. How did the theory of the Big Bang support the concept?

The Big Bang theory proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, which expanded and cooled over billions of years to form the universe we know. This supports the concept of "From nothing & nowhere to everything" as it suggests that the universe emerged from a state of nothingness and expanded to its current form.

3. What evidence do we have for the concept?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the concept of "From nothing & nowhere to everything," including the expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements like hydrogen and helium. Additionally, observations of distant galaxies and their redshift also provide evidence for the Big Bang and the concept of an expanding universe.

4. Are there any competing theories to explain the origin of the universe?

Yes, there are other theories, such as the Steady State theory and the Oscillating Universe theory. However, the Big Bang theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported by scientific evidence.

5. Can we ever truly understand how the universe came into existence?

It is difficult to say for sure if we will ever have a complete understanding of the origin of the universe. As scientists continue to study and gather more evidence, our understanding of the universe's beginnings will likely evolve and improve, but it is possible that some aspects may always remain a mystery.