FRW metric, convention misunderstanding?

In summary, there are two different conventions for the value of the scale factor, either setting it equal to one or as an integer value. This can cause confusion when expressing the curvature parameter, k, which can be written as k = 1/R(t)^2 or k = 1/R_c^2. Additionally, the scale factor can be represented by either a(t) or R(t), but this can vary depending on the convention being used.
AstroPhysWhiz
So I have been following various derivations of the FRW metric and have a bit of confusion due to varying convention...

Would it be correct to say that curvature K can be expressed as both [tex]K = \frac{k}{a(t)^2}[/tex] and [tex]K = \frac{k}{R(t)^2}[/tex] where k is the curvature parameter?

If so, is it correct to say that the spatial line element for the k = 1 (closed) case may be expressed as

[tex]
dl^2=\frac{dr^2}{1-\frac{r^2}{R(t)^2}}+ r^2d\Omega^2
[/tex]

If I then sub
[tex]
r =R(t)\sin(\chi)
[/tex],

using the fact that the full line element is
[tex]
ds^2 = dt^2 - a(t)^2dl^2
[/tex]

I find
[tex]
ds^2 = dt^2 - a(t)^2R(t)^2[d\chi^2 + \sin^2(\chi) d\Omega^2]
[/tex]

but the texts I have read state the metric to be

[tex]
ds^2 = dt^2 - R(t)^2[d\chi^2 + \sin^2(\chi) d\Omega^2]
[/tex]

or

[tex]
ds^2 = dt^2 - a(t)^2[d\chi^2 + \sin^2(\chi) d\Omega^2]
[/tex]

so I am clearly misunderstanding something with my extra factor, anyone able to clear things up for me?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
You're mixing conventions.

First of all, a(t) and R(t) are, for the most part, just different names for the exact same parameter. They're both the scale factor.

There are also two different conventions for the value of the scale factor.

In one convention, we say that the scale factor today is equal to one. This makes ##k## into a floating-point value that is related to the current radius of curvature, ##k = 1 / R_c^2##.

The other convention sets ##k## to be an integer value, with either ##k = \{1, 0, -1\}##. With this convention, if ##k## is plus or minus one, then the scale factor is equal to the radius of curvature at that point in time. If ##k## is zero, then there is no radius of curvature and the scale factor takes on an arbitrary scaling.

Usually people use the variable ##R(t)## for the second convention, and the variable ##a(t)## for the first. But not all the time.

Related to FRW metric, convention misunderstanding?

1. What is the FRW metric?

The Friedmann-Robertson-Walker (FRW) metric is a mathematical model used in cosmology to describe the expansion of the universe. It is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity and is based on the assumptions of homogeneity and isotropy of the universe on a large scale.

2. What does the FRW metric tell us about the universe?

The FRW metric tells us about the geometry and evolution of the universe. It describes the expansion of space and how the distances between objects in the universe change over time. It also helps us understand the overall structure and dynamics of the universe.

3. What is the convention misunderstanding regarding the FRW metric?

The convention misunderstanding refers to a disagreement among scientists about the choice of time coordinate used in the FRW metric. Some scientists use the cosmic time coordinate, which is based on the age of the universe, while others use the conformal time coordinate, which is based on the expansion of the universe. This can lead to confusion in interpreting the results of cosmological models.

4. How can the convention misunderstanding be resolved?

The convention misunderstanding can be resolved by clearly specifying which time coordinate is being used in any given cosmological model. It is important for scientists to agree on a standard convention to avoid confusion and ensure accurate interpretation of results.

5. What are the implications of the convention misunderstanding for our understanding of the universe?

The convention misunderstanding does not have a significant impact on our overall understanding of the universe. It may lead to slight variations in the interpretation of data, but the underlying principles of the FRW metric and the expansion of the universe remain the same. It is important for scientists to continue discussing and clarifying the conventions used in cosmological models to ensure accurate and consistent understanding of the universe.