Function Graphs: Solving Questions with Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation involves a student asking for help with graphing a function in a GCSE mathematics exam. They are unsure of how to find f(3), f(x)=6, and ff(1). The respondent confirms the student's thinking for f(3) and f(x)=6 and explains the process for ff(1). The student expresses appreciation for the help.
tigerd12
Hey all

Recently in a paper I was doing I came across a question which involved the graphing of a function. Now I am doing GCSE mathematics (the real exam) soon, having finished the syllabus; and have never come across anything like this before!

Here's the question

The graph y=f(x) is drawn

Find f(3)

Attempt: Do I go 3 along the X axis then go up see where it cuts the graph, draw a line there and find solutions?

Find f(x)=6

Attempt: Do I draw the line y=6 and see where this intersects with the graph? giving solutions

Find ff(1)?

Attempt: Do I.. do f(1), meaning go 1 across on the X axis, find the solution where it cuts the graph and go across to see the Y value, then after I obtain this value go along the X axis and find the point of intersection?

Thanks for any help, I really don't understand! I have never seen this type of question before

Physics news on Phys.org
f(3): your thinking is correct.

f(x)=6: correct, then you "look down" to the x axis.

ff(1): I guess that means f(f(1)). After you find y = f(1), go across the X axis to find y on the X axis, then find f(y).

I would advise the following step-by-step guide to solving these types of function graph questions:

1. Start by understanding the basic concept of a function graph. A function is a relationship between two variables, typically represented by the letters x and y. In a function, every input (x) has only one output (y). The graph of a function shows this relationship visually.

2. Identify the given function, in this case, y=f(x). This means that the output (y) is dependent on the input (x).

3. For the first question, finding f(3), you need to substitute x=3 into the function. This means that you will find the value of y when x=3. So, go to the point where x=3 on the x-axis and see where it intersects with the graph. Then, read the corresponding y-value on the y-axis. This is your answer for f(3).

4. For the second question, finding f(x)=6, you need to find the x-values for which y=6. This means that you will draw a horizontal line at y=6 and see where it intersects with the graph. The x-values at these points are your solutions for f(x)=6.

5. For the third question, finding ff(1), you need to evaluate the function twice. Start by finding f(1) using the same steps as in question 1. Then, take the value you obtained for y and use it as the input for the function again. This means you will find f(y) using the value you obtained for f(1). Follow the same steps as in question 1 to find the final answer.

Remember to always label your axes and clearly indicate your solutions on the graph. Practice with different functions to improve your understanding of function graphs. Good luck on your exam!

Related to Function Graphs: Solving Questions with Step-by-Step Guide

1. How do I interpret a function graph?

When interpreting a function graph, it is important to pay attention to the x and y axes. The x-axis represents the input or independent variable, while the y-axis represents the output or dependent variable. The graph itself shows the relationship between the two variables. The shape of the graph can also give information about the behavior of the function, such as whether it is increasing or decreasing.

2. How do I find the domain and range of a function from its graph?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. To find the domain and range from a graph, look at the x and y values that are present on the graph. The domain will be all possible x values, while the range will be all possible y values. Be sure to also consider any restrictions or limitations on the graph, such as asymptotes or discontinuities.

3. How do I determine the x and y intercepts from a function graph?

The x-intercept is the point where the graph crosses the x-axis, and the y-intercept is the point where the graph crosses the y-axis. To find these points, set the opposite variable to 0 and solve for the other variable. For example, to find the x-intercept, set y=0 and solve for x. To find the y-intercept, set x=0 and solve for y.

4. How do I use a function graph to solve for the slope and y-intercept of a linear function?

A linear function is represented by a straight line on a graph. The slope of a line is the ratio of the change in the y-value (vertical change) to the change in the x-value (horizontal change). To find the slope, choose two points on the line and use the slope formula: slope = (change in y)/(change in x). The y-intercept is the point where the line crosses the y-axis, and can be found by setting x=0 and solving for y.

5. How do I use a function graph to solve for the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is represented by a parabola on a graph. The maximum or minimum value of the function, also known as the vertex, can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic function in the form ax^2 + bx + c. Plug this x-value into the function to find the corresponding y-value, which will be the maximum or minimum value of the function.