Fusion Power: How Long to Solve & Commercialize? | Expert Q&A

• Thread starter wildman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion
In summary, the conversation discusses the timeline and potential cost of solving and commercializing fusion power problems through an all-out crash program. The estimated timeline is around 30 years, with a focus on the need for training new scientists and engineers, solving technical challenges, and accounting for unknown risks. However, the experts also acknowledge that this estimate has been given for the past 50 years and that it is difficult to accurately predict the timeline until the goal is actually achieved.
wildman
That last thread on Fusion was interesting. Now I have a question for the experts:

How long would it take to solve and commercialize fusion power problems given an all out crash program? And how much money would that represent? What would be the risk factor of out right failure? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
30 years ! Must be a good number, because that's already 50 years that one answers that question with "30 years" :redface:

No, seriously, I think people became smarter, and don't make such prognoses anymore. I'd say, don't count on it before 2070, because ITER just started, and if all goes well, after ITER they'll try to make DEMO.

For IFE, a truly all-out crash program would have to train a lot of new scientists and engineers in a complex field, and that would have to take at least 10 years. Another 10 to solve the formidable technical challenges, and another 10 to cover unknown risks, and I get... hmm, 30 years. I have no idea what this would cost, but given unlimited funding and an Apollo-like focus I think it's technically possible.

vanesch said:
No, seriously, I think people became smarter, and don't make such prognoses anymore. I'd say, don't count on it before 2070, because ITER just started, and if all goes well, after ITER they'll try to make DEMO.
vanesch,

People have been saying 20 to 30 years for the past 50 years.

It's a little like asking "How long will it take to completely eradicate cancer?"

Until you actually do it - and know what it takes to do it - you can't answer the question.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

The time until fusion becomes commercialized is another constant in fusion. :smile:

Related to Fusion Power: How Long to Solve & Commercialize? | Expert Q&A

1. How does fusion power work?

Fusion power is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy. This process occurs naturally in the sun and other stars, and scientists are working to recreate it on Earth for energy production.

2. How long will it take to solve fusion power?

This is a difficult question to answer, as fusion power is a complex and ongoing research topic. While scientists have made significant progress and have achieved fusion reactions, there are still many challenges to overcome before fusion power can be commercially viable. It is estimated that it could take several more decades to fully solve fusion power.

3. What are the benefits of fusion power?

Fusion power has the potential to be a nearly limitless source of clean energy. Unlike traditional nuclear power, fusion does not produce long-lasting radioactive waste and does not emit greenhouse gases. It also requires a relatively small amount of fuel, making it a potentially sustainable energy source.

4. What are the challenges in commercializing fusion power?

There are several challenges in commercializing fusion power. One major challenge is achieving and maintaining the extreme temperatures and pressures needed to initiate and sustain fusion reactions. Another challenge is finding materials that can withstand the intense conditions inside a fusion reactor. Additionally, the cost of building and maintaining a fusion power plant is currently very high.

5. Will fusion power ever replace other forms of energy?

It is difficult to predict the future of energy sources, but fusion power has the potential to play a significant role in meeting our energy needs. While it may not completely replace other forms of energy, it could become a valuable addition to our energy mix, especially as concerns about climate change and limited resources grow.