How Does a GaAs Solar Collector Manage Light Absorption and Re-radiation?

Your Name]In summary, the GaAs solar collector of 100 micrometer thickness is irradiated with 100mW of 650nm light, with an absorption coefficient of 10^4 cm^-1 and a bandgap of 1.4 eV. The first part of the problem asks for the amount of light reflected, which is 28.6%. The second and third parts deal with the amount of light absorbed and re-radiated, respectively. Due to the high absorption coefficient and thinness of the material, essentially all of the incident light is absorbed and converted into heat. The 100% internal quantum efficiency does not mean that there is no recombination occurring, as some non-radiative recombination will
Math Jeans

Homework Statement

A flat and thin GaAs solar collector of 100 micrometer thickness is irradiated with 100mW of 650nm light (incident normal to the surface). The absorption coefficient is about 10^4 cm^-1 and the bandgap is 1.4 eV. Assume that the GaAs has ~100% internal quantum efficiency.

How much of the light is reflected?

How much is absorbed and turned into heat?

How much is re-radiated?

How much of the re-radiated light can escape the 17 degree escape angle from total internal reflection?

(Some more questions about it, but I can answer these if I can get the first parts)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the first part using the equation for the Fernel coefficient, and got 28.6% of the light.

The main issue that I'm having is with parts 2 and 3:
-I calculated the absorbance of the material using the beer lambert law and got an I/I0 approximately equal to 0 (on the order of 10^-44), so I can assume that all of the light it absorbed.
-Based on how the questions are stated, I'm fairly sure that they're asking for the amount of non-radiative recombination in the second part, and the amount of radiative recombination in the third part.

However, if I'm assuming 100% internal quantum efficiency, doesn't that mean that no recombination should occur because all electrons in the conduction band are going towards current? What am I missing here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeans

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Jeans,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have a good understanding of the first part of the problem. Let's address your questions about parts 2 and 3.

First, it is correct that the absorbance of the material is essentially 100% due to the high absorption coefficient and thinness of the material. This means that all of the incident light is being converted into heat.

Second, the 100% internal quantum efficiency does not necessarily mean that there is no recombination occurring. Internal quantum efficiency refers to the efficiency of converting absorbed photons into charge carriers, but it does not account for the recombination of those charge carriers. In fact, there will always be some non-radiative recombination occurring in any material, and this will result in the conversion of some of the absorbed light into heat instead of electricity.

As for the third part, the amount of re-radiated light depends on the efficiency of radiative recombination, which is typically lower than internal quantum efficiency. This means that some of the absorbed light will be converted into heat, while the rest will be re-radiated as photons. The exact amount of re-radiated light will depend on the specific properties of the material and the conditions of the experiment.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Does a GaAs Solar Collector Manage Light Absorption and Re-radiation?

1. What is a GaAs solar collector?

A GaAs solar collector is a type of solar panel that uses gallium arsenide (GaAs) as the semiconductor material instead of silicon. It is able to convert sunlight into electricity more efficiently than traditional silicon-based solar panels.

2. How does a GaAs solar collector work?

A GaAs solar collector works by converting sunlight into electricity through the photovoltaic effect. When sunlight hits the GaAs material, it causes electrons to be released, creating an electrical current that can be harnessed for power.

3. What are the advantages of using a GaAs solar collector?

Some advantages of using a GaAs solar collector include higher efficiency in converting sunlight to electricity, even in low light conditions, and a longer lifespan compared to traditional silicon solar panels. They are also more resistant to extreme temperatures and can be easily integrated into building materials for a more seamless appearance.

4. Are there any limitations to using GaAs solar collectors?

One limitation of GaAs solar collectors is their higher cost compared to traditional silicon-based solar panels. They also require more specialized manufacturing processes, which can make them more difficult to produce on a large scale. Additionally, GaAs is not as readily available as silicon, which may limit its widespread use.

5. Are GaAs solar collectors a sustainable energy source?

Yes, GaAs solar collectors are considered a sustainable energy source because they harness renewable energy from the sun. They do not emit any greenhouse gases during operation and have a relatively low impact on the environment compared to other energy sources. However, their sustainability also depends on the responsible sourcing and disposal of the materials used in their production.