Gaining Comfort in the Command Line for TeX & LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Line
In summary: I can't speak for everyone. My kids can't even spell CLI.In summary, the author recommends that people use LaTeX instead of TeX. They explain that LaTeX is a built on TeX and is more user-friendly. They also mention that tex commands can be used instead of LaTeX commands.
Jimmy Snyder
I was feeling sorry for the guy that started that thread, so I took this discussion off to a new thread. I don't know if there is a better forum for it.

matt grime said:
It means learning to love the command line though.

Actually, I was already not using GUIs long before there even were GUIs. I got the miktex package and started using the pdftex utility. I haven't read any documentation so I'm probably not using it to best advantage, but it does work for me.

What is the difference between tex and latex? Should I use pdftex or pfdlatex? Pretty soon I am going to post my results in Snyder-Conway theory on my website and it will be in a pdf file.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
I was feeling sorry for the guy that started that thread, so I took this discussion off to a new thread. I don't know if there is a better forum for it.

Actually, I was already not using GUIs long before there even were GUIs. I got the miktex package and started using the pdftex utility. I haven't read any documentation so I'm probably not using it to best advantage, but it does work for me.

What is the difference between tex and latex? Should I use pdftex or pfdlatex? Pretty soon I am going to post my results in Snyder-Conway theory on my website and it will be in a pdf file.

Essentially, LaTeX is a built on TeX. TeX itself, is quite difficult to use, whereas, LaTeX was written by mathematicians/scientists for mathematicians/scientists. TeX, itself, is also quite old. You should use all the *latex commands, rather than the *tex commands.

"I was already not using GUIs long before there even were GUIs."

Weren't we all?

HallsofIvy said:
Weren't we all?

I can't speak for everyone. My kids can't even spell CLI.

I got a book on latex and now I see that what I want is latex, not tex. So I converted my sample.tex to lasample.tex and successfully converted it to pdf. Thanks to all for the help.

Related to Gaining Comfort in the Command Line for TeX & LaTeX

1. What is the command line for TeX and LaTeX?

The command line for TeX and LaTeX is a text-based interface where users can input commands and execute them to perform various tasks in TeX or LaTeX. It allows for more precise control and customization of documents compared to using a graphical user interface.

2. How do I navigate through directories in the command line?

To navigate through directories in the command line, you can use the "cd" command. For example, to go to a directory named "Documents", you would type "cd Documents" and press enter. To go back to the previous directory, you can use the command "cd ..".

3. How can I create or open a file in the command line?

To create a new file in the command line, you can use the "touch" command followed by the file name. For example, "touch mydocument.tex" will create a new file named "mydocument.tex". To open an existing file, you can use a text editor like Vim or Nano, or use the command "open" followed by the file name. For example, "open mydocument.tex" will open the file in the default text editor.

4. How do I compile a TeX or LaTeX document in the command line?

To compile a TeX or LaTeX document in the command line, you can use the "pdflatex" command followed by the file name. For example, "pdflatex mydocument.tex" will compile the document and generate a PDF file. You may need to run this command multiple times for complex documents with references or citations.

5. Can I customize my command line interface for TeX and LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize your command line interface for TeX and LaTeX by creating a customized startup file called ".bashrc" or ".zshrc". This file can contain aliases, functions, and other settings that can make your command line experience more efficient and personalized. You can also change the color and appearance of your command line interface using a tool like "oh-my-zsh" or "powerline-shell".