Galaxy Rotation Curve problem -

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the functional form of the rotation curve for the outer parts of the galaxy in the absence of dark matter. The speaker treats the curve as linear and uses equations to solve for the angular frequency and the mass function. They then ask for guidance on how to treat the density in the equation and it is suggested to assume it is constant. This leads to the conclusion that the rotation curve should have the form v=kr, where k is a constant.
tetris11
Hi folks,

I'm supposed to derive the func. form of the rotation curve for the outer parts of our galaxy, in the absence of dark matter.

Im assuming that I treat this as a linear curve, since in reality, dark matter flattens out the curve, when it should continue following the linear(?)

What I've done:

1) v= rw v = Vel, r = distance from centre w = angular freq. (d(theta)/dt)
2) v²/r = GM(r)/r²

What do I do now? If I subs. 1 into 2, I get stuck with w and M(r).

How am I supposed to treat M(r): (M(r) = [(4/3)*Pi*r³]*p)
Do I just introduce p (density) into the eqn. and assume p is constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for your help!Yes, you can assume that the density is constant. Then you can solve for w in terms of the density, and then substitute it back into the equation. Since the density is constant, the angular frequency w should be proportional to the radius r. So the rotation curve should have the form v=kr, where k is a constant.

Related to Galaxy Rotation Curve problem -

1. What is the Galaxy Rotation Curve problem?

The Galaxy Rotation Curve problem, also known as the "Galactic Rotation Problem", refers to the discrepancy between the observed rotational speeds of stars and gas in galaxies and the predicted rotational speeds based on the visible mass within the galaxy. This suggests that there is missing mass or energy in the galaxy that cannot be accounted for by the visible matter.

2. How does the Galaxy Rotation Curve problem challenge our understanding of gravity?

The Galaxy Rotation Curve problem challenges our understanding of gravity because it suggests that there is more mass in galaxies than what we can observe with traditional methods. This means that there must be some form of invisible matter, known as dark matter, that is exerting a gravitational force on stars and gas, causing them to rotate at higher speeds than expected.

3. What evidence supports the existence of dark matter in galaxies?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the existence of dark matter in galaxies. The first is the observed rotational speeds of stars and gas in galaxies, which cannot be explained by the visible matter alone. Additionally, gravitational lensing, where the light from distant objects is bent by the gravitational pull of massive objects, has been observed in galaxies, indicating the presence of unseen mass. Other evidence includes the large-scale structure of the universe and the measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. What are some proposed explanations for the missing mass in galaxies?

There are several proposed explanations for the missing mass in galaxies. One is the existence of dark matter, which is a form of matter that does not interact with light and therefore cannot be observed directly. Another explanation is modifications to our understanding of gravity, such as the Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) theory, which suggests that the laws of gravity may change on a larger scale. Other theories propose the existence of hidden dimensions or exotic particles that could account for the missing mass.

5. How is the Galaxy Rotation Curve problem being studied and investigated?

The Galaxy Rotation Curve problem is being studied and investigated through various methods and techniques. Astronomers use telescopes to observe the rotational speeds of stars and gas in galaxies, as well as gravitational lensing and other phenomena. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand the behavior of dark matter and its effects on galaxies. Additionally, experiments are being conducted in particle accelerators to try and detect and understand dark matter particles. There is ongoing research and collaboration in the scientific community to further investigate and solve the Galaxy Rotation Curve problem.