Gamma distribution from sample mean of Exponential distribution

In summary: I'm sorry but I'm still not getting it.I understand about the erlang distribution and after plugging in what should be the parameters for it from (\frac{λ}{λ - t})nI get ∫^{nx}_{0}\frac{s^{n-1} e^{-\frac{s}{θ}}}{θ^n \Gamma (n)}where \Gamma(n) = ∫^{∞}_{0} sn-1 e-s dsI'm guessing that the sn-1 cancel out but I feel like I'm missing a change of variables by a Jacobian. Also in your response you mentioned we took \frac{d}{dx} P (\bar{X} \leq
tmbrwlf730

Homework Statement

Let X1, X2,...,Xn be a random sample from the exponential distribution with mean θ and [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] = [itex]\sum^{n}_{i = 1}X_i[/itex]

Show that [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] ~ Gamma(n, [itex]\frac{n}{θ}[/itex])

Homework Equations

θ = [itex]\frac{1}{λ}[/itex]

MGF Exponential Distribution = [itex]\frac{λ}{λ - t}[/itex]

MGF Gamma Distribution = ([itex]\frac{β}{β - t}[/itex])α

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the generating function of the exponential distribution but I end up with

[itex]\frac{(\frac{λ}{λ-t})^{n}}{n}[/itex]

I don't know what to do with the n in the denominator to get λ = [itex]\frac{n}{θ}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
tmbrwlf730 said:

Homework Statement

Let X1, X2,...,Xn be a random sample from the exponential distribution with mean θ and [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] = [itex]\sum^{n}_{i = 1}X_i[/itex]

Show that [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] ~ Gamma(n, [itex]\frac{n}{θ}[/itex])

Homework Equations

θ = [itex]\frac{1}{λ}[/itex]

MGF Exponential Distribution = [itex]\frac{λ}{λ - t}[/itex]

MGF Gamma Distribution = ([itex]\frac{β}{β - t}[/itex])α

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the generating function of the exponential distribution but I end up with

[itex]\frac{(\frac{λ}{λ-t})^{n}}{n}[/itex]

I don't know what to do with the n in the denominator to get λ = [itex]\frac{n}{θ}[/itex]

We have ##\bar{X} = S_n/n,## where ##S_n = \sum_{i=1}^n X_i##. The random variable ##S_n## has an n-Erlang distribution with mean ##n \theta##. (Erlang is a special case of Gamma; its density is widely available in textbooks and on line.) To get the distribution pdf ##f(x)## of ##\bar{X}##, use
[tex] f(x) =\frac{d}{dx} P (\bar{X} \leq x), \text{ and }
P(\bar{X} \leq x) = P(S_n \leq nx). [/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
We have ##\bar{X} = S_n/n,## where ##S_n = \sum_{i=1}^n X_i##. The random variable ##S_n## has an n-Erlang distribution with mean ##n \theta##. (Erlang is a special case of Gamma; its density is widely available in textbooks and on line.) To get the distribution pdf ##f(x)## of ##\bar{X}##, use

I'm sorry but I'm still not getting it.

I understand about the erlang distribution and after plugging in what should be the parameters for it from

([itex]\frac{λ}{λ - t}[/itex])n

I get ∫[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{s^{n-1} e^{-\frac{s}{θ}}}{θ^n \Gamma (n)}[/itex]

where [itex]\Gamma(n)[/itex] = ∫[itex]^{∞}_{0} [/itex]sn-1 e-s ds

I'm guessing that the sn-1 cancel out but I feel like I'm missing a change of variables by a Jacobian.

Also in your response you mentioned we took [tex] \frac{d}{dx} P (\bar{X} \leq x)[/tex]. Why do we take a derivative?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:

So think I got it.

First to make things easier I'm just going to call [itex]\frac{1}{θ}[/itex] = λ

So..
∫[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{λ^{n} s^{n-1} e^{-λs}}{\Gamma (n)}[/itex] ds

where the sn-1 cancel out right?

∫[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex] λn e-λs + s ds after working with the e-s in the denominator of the integrand.

∫[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{λ^{n} s^{n-1} e^{-λs}}{\Gamma (n)}[/itex] ds

[itex]\frac{-λ^{n}}{λ-1}[/itex] e-s(λ-1)|[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex]

After taking the derivative
[itex]\frac{(-λ^{n})(-n)(λ-1)e^{-nx(λ-1)}}{λ-1}[/itex]

cancel out like terms and bring e^{-nx} back down to the denominator, and since [itex]\frac{(nx)^{n-1}}{(nx)^{n-1}}[/itex] = 1 we can put that back in so

[itex]\frac{(nx)^{n-1}(λ^n)(n)e^{-nxλ}}{(nx)^{n-1}e^{-nx}}[/itex]

How do I get the integral sign back into the denominator? Also I still don't know why we integrated then took the derivative. Clarification on that would help. Thank you.

tmbrwlf730 said:
So think I got it.

First to make things easier I'm just going to call [itex]\frac{1}{θ}[/itex] = λ

So..

where the sn-1 cancel out right?

∫[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex] λn e-λs + s ds after working with the e-s in the denominator of the integrand.

[itex]\frac{-λ^{n}}{λ-1}[/itex] e-s(λ-1)|[itex]^{nx}_{0}[/itex]

After taking the derivative
[itex]\frac{(-λ^{n})(-n)(λ-1)e^{-nx(λ-1)}}{λ-1}[/itex]

cancel out like terms and bring e^{-nx} back down to the denominator, and since [itex]\frac{(nx)^{n-1}}{(nx)^{n-1}}[/itex] = 1 we can put that back in so

[itex]\frac{(nx)^{n-1}(λ^n)(n)e^{-nxλ}}{(nx)^{n-1}e^{-nx}}[/itex]

How do I get the integral sign back into the denominator? Also I still don't know why we integrated then took the derivative. Clarification on that would help. Thank you.

If ##g(w)## is the density function of some random variable ##W##, how do we find the density function of ##W/n##? One way is to do it is to differentiate the cdf of ##W/n##. However, if you prefer to use formulas for change-of-variables in probability you can do that instead. You should to it first for a general pdf ##g(w)##, then specialize this to the case of the Erlang density.

I cannot figure out what you are doing with all your 'cancellations' and whatnot.

Ray Vickson said:
If ##g(w)## is the density function of some random variable ##W##, how do we find the density function of ##W/n##? One way is to do it is to differentiate the cdf of ##W/n##. However, if you prefer to use formulas for change-of-variables in probability you can do that instead. You should to it first for a general pdf ##g(w)##, then specialize this to the case of the Erlang density.

I cannot figure out what you are doing with all your 'cancellations' and whatnot.

What I was thinking that something had to cancel so that I can integrate the function. I haven't worked with the gamma function so I'm not sure about some things.

So the [itex]\Gamma[/itex](n) = ∫ sn-1 e-s ds.

So we get [itex]∫\frac{λ^{n}s^{n-1}e^{-λs}}{∫s^{n-1}e^{-s}ds}ds[/itex]

Would the sn-1 in the numerator cancel out with the one in the denominator?
Could you group e-λs and e-stogether to make e-s(λ+1) ?
How do I work with the gamma function, an integral, being a denominator of another integral?

Last edited:

Related to Gamma distribution from sample mean of Exponential distribution

What is the Gamma distribution?

The Gamma distribution is a continuous probability distribution that is often used to model the waiting time until a certain number of events occur. It is characterized by two parameters, shape and scale, and can take on a wide range of shapes depending on these parameters.

What is the relationship between the Gamma distribution and the Exponential distribution?

The Exponential distribution is a special case of the Gamma distribution, where the shape parameter is equal to 1. This means that the duration between events follows an Exponential distribution if the events are occurring at a constant rate.

How is the Gamma distribution calculated from a sample mean of Exponential distribution?

The Gamma distribution can be calculated from a sample mean of Exponential distribution by using the relationship between the two distributions. The shape parameter of the Gamma distribution can be estimated by dividing the sample size by the sample mean, and the scale parameter can be estimated by dividing the sample mean by the shape parameter.

What are the assumptions for using the Gamma distribution to model an Exponential distribution?

The assumptions for using the Gamma distribution to model an Exponential distribution include a constant event rate, independent events, and a continuous time frame. Additionally, the sample size should be large enough to accurately estimate the parameters of the Gamma distribution.

What are some common applications of the Gamma distribution?

The Gamma distribution is commonly used in a variety of fields, including finance, engineering, and healthcare. It can be used to model waiting times in queuing systems, the lifetime of mechanical components, and the time until a patient recovers from a disease or illness. It is also commonly used in survival analysis and reliability studies.