Gas Compression Temperature Change

In summary, to find the new temperature of a gas after compressing it from 1.00 atm to 40.0 atm and reducing its volume to one tenth of its original, we can use the equation P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where T is in Kelvin. By plugging in the given values, we get T2 = 1192K, which is equivalent to 919 degrees Celsius. This is the correct answer, as the options given were in degrees Celsius.
DaynaClarke

Homework Statement

"One way to heat a gas is to compress it. A gas at 1.00 atm at 25.0°C is compressed to one tenth of its original volume, and it reaches 40.0 atm pressure. What is its new temperature?"
So, I have:
P1 = 1
V1 = 1
T1 = 25
P2 = 40
V2 = 0.1

And I'm looking for T2
The question was multiple choice: 1500K, 919 degrees C, 1500 degrees C, and 1192 degrees C.
I'm getting 100 degrees C.

Homework Equations

I've been using the equation: P1V1 / T1 = P2V2 / T2

This gives me
T2 = T1(P2V2)/(P1V1)

The Attempt at a Solution

When I put in my numbers, it gives me:
T2 = 25 (4/1)
= 100 degrees C

This isn't one of the options, but I can't see where I have gone wrong.

If I convert everything to Kelvin, I get 1192K, which is still not quite right due to the units.

Any and all help would be highly appreciated. Am I using the wrong equation, or have I simply missed something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Welcome to PF!
DaynaClarke said:

Homework Equations

I've been using the equation: P1V1 / T1 = P2V2 / T2
T is absolute temperature in this equation. So, T should be in K. Once you get your answer in K, you can convert to oC.

What do you get if you convert your 1192K to Celsius?

TomHart said:
What do you get if you convert your 1192K to Celsius?
919... I feel ever so silly, thank you.

TSny said:
Hello. Welcome to PF!
T is absolute temperature in this equation. So, T should be in K. Once you get your answer in K, you can convert to oC.
Thank you for your help

Related to Gas Compression Temperature Change

1. How does gas compression affect temperature?

When gas is compressed, its molecules are forced closer together, resulting in an increase in temperature. This is known as the adiabatic heating effect.

2. Why does gas get hotter when compressed?

When gas is compressed, its molecules have less space to spread out and move around, so they collide more frequently and with greater force, causing an increase in kinetic energy and therefore temperature.

3. Is there a limit to how much a gas can be compressed before it becomes too hot?

Yes, there is a limit known as the critical point, where the gas is at its maximum temperature and pressure before it transitions into a liquid state.

4. Can gas compression cause a decrease in temperature?

In some cases, when gas is compressed at a low temperature, it can actually decrease in temperature due to the Joule-Thomson effect. This is when the gas cools as it expands against a pressure difference.

5. How is temperature change related to gas compression in industrial processes?

In industrial processes, gas compression is often used to increase the pressure of a gas in order to facilitate its use in various applications. The resulting temperature change can have important effects on the efficiency and safety of these processes, and must be carefully controlled and monitored.