Gaussian Elimination Solution to the 2D Poisson Equation

In summary, the speaker is trying to use Gaussian elimination to solve the 2D poisson equation, but their solution is incorrect. They are using a matrix from a presentation and are unsure if it is correct to directly apply Gaussian elimination. They also mention not fully understanding a second matrix on the same slide. However, they have found the solution to their problem and discovered that Gaussian elimination can be applied without issues. Their initial error was using a shortcut routine that only works for the 1D poisson's problem.
Hypatio
I am trying to use Gaussian elimination to solve the 2D poisson equation. I've done this for the 1D problem without problems, but for some reason my solution for the 2D problem is incorrect; it looks something like the correct solution but it's as if the resulting field were cut in half, so along the top boundary it looks like the solution to the 1D problem.

On slide 7 of some persons powerpoint presentation here,

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~infm3350/slides060904.pdf

there is a matrix A with some of the values =4 and others =-1, and this is the matrix I am trying to solve with the right side source term equal to 1. Is it somehow incorrect to directly apply gaussian elimination over this matrix as it is?

Also note that I do not fully und erstand what the second matrix is on that same slide represents or how to solve it, so if I actuallyneed this then I may be approaching the solution incorrectly.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the solution to my problem. Gaussian elimination can be applied without problems. My error was using a shortcut routine for back substitution for tridiagonal matrices which only work for the 1D poisson's problem.

Related to Gaussian Elimination Solution to the 2D Poisson Equation

1. What is the 2D Poisson Equation?

The 2D Poisson Equation is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of a physical quantity, such as temperature or electric potential, in a two-dimensional space. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and applied mathematics.

2. How does Gaussian Elimination work?

Gaussian Elimination is a method for solving systems of linear equations. It involves transforming the system into an equivalent system with a simpler structure, such as an upper triangular matrix, which can then be easily solved using back substitution. This method is particularly useful for solving large systems of equations.

3. What is the purpose of using Gaussian Elimination to solve the 2D Poisson Equation?

The 2D Poisson Equation can be solved using various numerical methods, but Gaussian Elimination is often preferred due to its efficiency and accuracy. It allows for the solution to be obtained in a relatively short amount of time without sacrificing accuracy, making it a useful tool for scientists and engineers.

4. Are there any limitations to using Gaussian Elimination to solve the 2D Poisson Equation?

While Gaussian Elimination is a powerful method for solving systems of linear equations, it does have some limitations when applied to the 2D Poisson Equation. One limitation is that it may not be suitable for solving problems with non-constant coefficients or boundary conditions. In these cases, other numerical methods may need to be used.

5. Can Gaussian Elimination be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Gaussian Elimination can be extended to solve systems of equations in any number of dimensions. However, as the number of dimensions increases, the complexity of the problem also increases, making it more computationally intensive. In these cases, other methods such as iterative techniques may be more efficient.