General quantization of circular motion/spectrum in potential

In summary: Or, you could find ##v## in terms of ##r## and ##F_0## by solving ##mv^2/r = |dU/dr|##. Alternatively, you could use the known values for ##r## and ##F_0## and solve for ##v##. In summary, the student is trying to find the spectrum for circular motion in the potential U. They are lost after solving for r and v, and substituting them into the E expression. r and v should both be quantized, containing an n term correct? They finally get to an expression for E in terms of n. These are the quantized energy levels. They need to find expressions for
Hakkinen

Homework Statement

The general quantization of motion in circular orbits is obtained by combining the equation of motion ## \frac{mv^2}{r} = |\frac{dU(r)}{dr}| ## with the angular momentum quantization condition ## mvr=n\hbar ## Use this procedure to calculate the spectrum for circular motion in the potential ## U = (F_0)r ##

Homework Equations

I think you need to use one of the series to find the spectrum but I'm quite lost on how to get there.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume you make a substitution from ## mvr=n\hbar ## to quantize the equation of motion. I don't know if you use the given potential at first, and use its derivative ## |F_0| ##?

The form of the answer highly suggests using a series, however there are terms in it that I don't have in the initial conditions so I don't think I know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find dU/dr from your expression for U. That leaves you with two equations with two unknowns (r and v). After solving for r and v you can set up the total energy expression.

Thanks for your reply.
So the total energy expression is ## E_n = \frac{1}{2}mv_n^2 + F_0r_n ##??

I am still lost after solving for r and v, and substituting them into the E expression. r and v should both be quantized, containing an n term correct? I know how to calculate emission spectra for transitions with the Bohr model but I'm unsure of how exactly to get the spectrum from here. Is it still going to end up as something like ## \frac{hc}{λ} = ΔE ##?

Last edited:
Hakkinen said:
Thanks for your reply.
So the total energy expression is ## E_n = \frac{1}{2}mv_n^2 + F_0r_n ##??

I am still lost after solving for r and v, and substituting them into the E expression. r and v should both be quantized, containing an n term correct?
Yes. So, you will get an expression for E in terms of n. These are the quantized energy levels. You should be able to simplify E by combining the kinetic energy and potential energy into a single term.

I know how to calculate emission spectra for transitions with the Bohr model I'm unsure of how exactly to get the spectrum from here. Is it still going to end up as something like ## \frac{hc}{λ} = ΔE ##?
That's right. Good.

Okay, so substituting ## v_n^2 = \frac{F_0r}{m} = \frac{F_0r^2v}{n\hbar} ## and ## r_n = \frac{n\hbarω}{F_0} ## into ## E_n ##

which yields ## E_n = \frac{1}{2n\hbar}(mF_0r_n^2v+2n^2\hbar^2ω) ##

This does not seem convincing with two integral n's. Did I make an arithmetic error? Also it is still not only in terms of n...The answer given is ## λ = \frac{4c}{3}\sqrt[3]{\frac{m\hbar}{u_0^2}}(\sqrt[2/3]{n}-\sqrt[2/3]{m})^-1 ##

u_0 is reduced mass correct? if m under the cubed root is electron mass then m in the series term is just a variable for an energy level?

Last edited:
You need to find expressions for ##r## and ##v## in terms of just ##n, m, \hbar,## and ##F_0##.

For example, to find the expression for ##r##, you can first solve ##mvr = n\hbar## for ##v## in terms of ##r## and then substitute that expression for ##v## in the other equation ##mv^2/r = |dU/dr|##.

Related to General quantization of circular motion/spectrum in potential

1. What is general quantization of circular motion and spectrum in potential?

The general quantization of circular motion refers to the mathematical process of determining the allowed energy levels of a particle in circular motion under the influence of a potential. This is often applied in the study of atoms and molecules. The spectrum in potential refers to the specific set of energy levels that are allowed for a particular system.

2. Why is the study of general quantization of circular motion/spectrum in potential important?

Understanding the quantization of circular motion and spectrum in potential is crucial in many areas of science, particularly in quantum mechanics and atomic physics. It allows us to predict and explain the behavior of particles in circular motion and the corresponding energy levels, which is essential for understanding the properties of atoms and molecules.

3. How is the quantization of circular motion/spectrum in potential calculated?

The quantization of circular motion and spectrum in potential is calculated using mathematical equations and principles, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Bohr model. These equations take into account the properties of the particle, the potential it is under, and other relevant factors, to determine the allowed energy levels.

4. What are the applications of general quantization of circular motion/spectrum in potential?

The applications of the quantization of circular motion and spectrum in potential are vast and diverse. They include understanding the properties of atoms and molecules, predicting the behavior of electrons in electronic devices, and developing new technologies, such as quantum computers.

5. What are some current research topics related to general quantization of circular motion/spectrum in potential?

Current research topics in this area include studying the quantum effects of particles in circular motion, developing new mathematical models for quantization, and exploring the potential applications of this concept in various fields, such as chemistry and materials science.