General Relativity: Manifold/Sub-Manifold Metric Theorem Q-Schwarzschild

In summary, the conversation is about the understanding of theorem 7.2 in Sean M. Carroll's Lecture Notes on General Relativity. The theorem is used when a submanifold that foliates the manifold is maximally symmetric. The question is about the introduction of 2 coordinates in a 4-d spacetime, as the submanifolds only foliate 3-space. The conversation also asks for the name of the theorem and provides a link to the lecture notes.
binbagsss
I'm looking at Lecture Notes on General Relativity, Sean M. Carroll, 1997.

I don't understand eq 7.4 from the theorem 7.2. As I understand, theorem 7.2 is used when you have submanifold that foilate the manifold, and the submanifold must be maximally symmetric.

I know that 2-spheres are maximally symmetric, and foliate a spherically symmetric 3-space .
I don't understand the introduction of 2 coordinates, i.e. applying the therem to 4-d space-time, as the submanifolds only foliate 3-space, I thought the application of the theoremm would be limited to 3-space?

Also does thsi theorem have a name? So i can look it up elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you ask questions like this, please do not assume that everyone is sitting with a copy of Carrol's lecture notes in front of them. Take the time to write out the equations you are referring to, I guarantee that this will net you more responses. At the very least, provide a link so that people do not have to find it themselves.

bump

binbagsss said:
I know that 2-spheres are maximally symmetric, and foliate a spherically symmetric 3-space .

If they foliate a single spherically symmetric 3-space, they also foliate a 4-d spacetime composed of spacelike slices each of which is a spherically symmetric 3-space.

Related to General Relativity: Manifold/Sub-Manifold Metric Theorem Q-Schwarzschild

1. What is the significance of the Manifold/Sub-Manifold Metric Theorem in General Relativity?

The Manifold/Sub-Manifold Metric Theorem is an important mathematical concept in General Relativity that states that any smooth manifold can be embedded in a higher-dimensional Euclidean space. This theorem is crucial in understanding the geometric structure of spacetime, which is the foundation of Einstein's theory of General Relativity.

2. How does the Q-Schwarzschild metric relate to General Relativity?

The Q-Schwarzschild metric is a solution to Einstein's field equations in General Relativity that describes the spacetime around a spherically symmetric mass with an electric charge. This metric is important in understanding the gravitational effects of charged objects, such as black holes, in the context of General Relativity.

3. What is a manifold in the context of General Relativity?

A manifold in General Relativity refers to a mathematical concept that describes the geometric structure of spacetime. It is a multidimensional space that is smooth and continuous, and it is the foundation of Einstein's theory of General Relativity. Manifolds are used to model the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

4. How does the Manifold/Sub-Manifold Metric Theorem help in understanding the curvature of spacetime?

The Manifold/Sub-Manifold Metric Theorem helps in understanding the curvature of spacetime by providing a mathematical framework for describing the manifold structure of spacetime. This theorem allows us to embed a smooth, curved manifold into a higher-dimensional Euclidean space, which helps in visualizing and understanding the geometric properties of curved spacetime.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Q-Schwarzschild metric and the Manifold/Sub-Manifold Metric Theorem?

The Q-Schwarzschild metric and the Manifold/Sub-Manifold Metric Theorem have applications in various fields, including astrophysics, cosmology, and space exploration. They are used to study the behavior of charged objects, such as black holes, and to make predictions about the evolution of the universe. Additionally, the Manifold/Sub-Manifold Metric Theorem has applications in computer graphics, robotics, and machine learning.