General relativity question - geodesics.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving the geodesic equations in a Flat Earth space-time with a specific metric. The conversation also addresses an error in the calculations and provides a correct derivation using the Euler-Lagrange equation. The final summary of the conversation is that there was a mistake in the Lagrangian, which was corrected to correctly solve the geodesic equations in this space-time.
ghetom
I'm doing some revision for a General relativity exam, and came across this question:

A Flat Earth space-time has co-ordinates (t, x, y, z), where z > 0, and a metric

ds2 = ((1 + gz)2)dt2 − dx2 − dy2 − dz2

where g is a positive constant.
Write down the geodesic equations in this space-time.

Hence, or otherwise, show that A Flat Earth physicist, stationary at a point with z = h, will measure a ‘gravitational acceleration’ of magnitude g(1 + gh)−1

---//---

I've solved the geodesics, but can't get the 'show that' at the end:

Using the Euler-Lagrange equation:

[tex] \stackrel{d}{ds} \stackrel{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x^{\mu}}} - \stackrel{\partial L}{\partial x^{\mu}} =0[/tex]

I get

[tex]\ddot{z} = 2g(1+gz)\dot{t}^2[/tex]

And

[tex]\dot{t} = E/(1+gz)^2[/tex] ( where E is a constant )

So

[tex]\ddot{z} = g{E^2}/(1+gz)^3[/tex]

which isn't right. Alternatively,

[tex]\ddot{z}= \dot{t}^2 z'' + \ddot{t}z'[/tex] ( where ' is (d/dt) )

it's stationary, so z' = 0 thus [tex]z''=\ddot{z}/\dot{t}^2=2g(1+gz)[/tex]

which still isn't right. Any takers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the two in your geodesic equation shouldn't be there. You probably missed the 1/2 in the Christoffel symbol. Moreover you made a mistake in trying to find an expression for [itex](dt/ d\tau)^2[/itex]. Can you show us how you obtained your expression?

Last edited:
Yes the 2 is wrong. My apologies.

For the mu = 0 equation I have:

[tex](d/ds)(2\dot{t}(1+gz)^2) =0[/tex]

thus

[tex] \dot{t} (1+gz)^2 = constant [/tex]

also

[tex]\ddot{z} = \dot{t}d\dot{z}/dt = \dot{t}(d/dt)(\dot{t}z') = \dot{t}(z'(d\dot{t})/dt +\dot{t}z'')=\dot{t}^2z''+\ddot{t}z'[/tex]

Last edited:
Update: I've now solved it using the Christoffel symbols, but am still confused as to why the Euler-Lagrange method hasn't worked.This is wrong:
[tex]\ddot{z} = -g{\dot{t}^2}(1+gz)[/tex] (1)

It should read:

[tex]\ddot{z} =-g{\dot{t}^2}/(1+gz)[/tex] (2)

I got (1) direct from the EL equation

[tex]-2\ddot{z} - {\dot{t}^2}d_{z}(1+gz)^2 = 0[/tex] (3)

Last edited:
You're probably losing terms in places where you should be summing over the indices. Using the EL-equations I end up with [itex]\ddot{z}-g(1+gz)\dot{t}^2 =0 [/itex].

Your second equation is wrong as well. Did you derive that one using the geodesic equation? Either way I just calculated it both ways and I get the same result, as it should be. I can't be of further assistance unless you show me your full derivation. Also I don't think you have gotten your [itex]\dot{t}[/itex] correct yet.

Last edited:
Thanks. Given that's the case then [tex]z''=\ddot{z}/\dot{t}^2=g(1+gz)[/tex] can't be true (since this is the wrong answer).

I can't see any thing wrong for [tex]\dot{t}[/tex]:

whats wrong with:
[tex]L = (1+gz)^2dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2)[/tex]

therefore by EL:

[tex](d/ds)(2\dot{t}(1+gz)^2) =0[/tex]

so

[tex] \dot{t} (1+gz)^2 = constant [/tex]

Your Lagrangian is wrong, recall [itex]L=g_{\alpha \beta}\dot{x}^\alpha\dot{x}^\beta=(1+gz)^2 \dot{t}^2-\dot{x}^2-\dot{y}^2-\dot{z}^2[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to General relativity question - geodesics.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects, such as planets and stars, curve the fabric of space-time, causing other objects to move in a curved path.

2. What are geodesics in general relativity?

Geodesics are the curved paths that objects follow in the presence of a large mass, according to general relativity. They are the shortest distance between two points in a curved space-time and are equivalent to the straight lines we are familiar with in flat space.

3. How does general relativity explain the bending of light?

According to general relativity, massive objects like stars and galaxies cause a curvature in space-time. When light passes by these massive objects, it is also affected by this curvature and appears to bend. This phenomenon is known as gravitational lensing.

4. Can general relativity be tested?

Yes, general relativity has been extensively tested and has passed all experimental and observational tests so far. These include the bending of light, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the gravitational time dilation.

5. How has general relativity impacted our understanding of the universe?

General relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a more accurate description of gravity and how it affects the motion of objects. It has also helped explain phenomena such as black holes, gravitational waves, and the expanding universe. Its predictions have been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations, making it one of the most well-established theories in modern physics.