Geometry in spherical coordinate

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for resources on geometry in spherical coordinates, specifically regarding the definitions of lines and planes in 3D space and calculating distances in spherical coordinates. The speaker is seeking information on how to express lines and planes in spherical coordinate form.
Asuralm
Hi all:

I am wondering if there is any book or course note about the geometry in spherical coordinate. Not just the superficial definition and the convertion with Euclidean coordinate. But something like how a line is defined in spherical coordinate in 3D space, how a plane is defined, how to calculate the distance between a 3D point and a plane both in spherical coordinates. Also, the geometry calculus in spherical coordinates.

Is anyone aware of such things please?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you are asking. A line or plane is defined without regard to coordinates. Do you mean the general equations of line or plane?

HallsofIvy said:
I don't understand what you are asking. A line or plane is defined without regard to coordinates. Do you mean the general equations of line or plane?

I mean what's they expression of plane and line in the spherical coordinates. For example, the line is defined as something like [tex]{\bf v} = {\bf v}_0 + t\cdot {\bf n}[/tex]. But here [tex]{\bf v} = (v_x, v_y, v_z)[/tex], i.e. cartesian coordinate. How can a plane and line be expressed in the spherical coordinate form, i.e. [tex](\rho, \theta, \phi)[/tex]

Related to Geometry in spherical coordinate

1. What is the difference between spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates use three variables to represent a point in three-dimensional space: radius, inclination, and azimuth. Cartesian coordinates use three variables to represent a point in three-dimensional space: x, y, and z coordinates.

2. How is distance measured in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, the distance between two points is measured using the formula √(r1^2 + r2^2 - 2r1r2cos(θ1-θ2)cos(φ1-φ2)), where r1 and r2 are the radii of the two points, θ1 and θ2 are the inclinations, and φ1 and φ2 are the azimuths.

3. How are vectors represented in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, vectors are represented by three components: the radial component, the inclination component, and the azimuthal component. The radial component is the magnitude of the vector, the inclination component is the angle between the vector and the positive z-axis, and the azimuthal component is the angle between the projection of the vector onto the xy-plane and the positive x-axis.

4. What are some common applications of spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent the location of a point in space, such as in celestial navigation, satellite positioning, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in computer graphics to represent the orientation of objects in three-dimensional space.

5. How do you convert between spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, use the following formulas: x = r sin(θ) cos(φ), y = r sin(θ) sin(φ), and z = r cos(θ), where r is the radius, θ is the inclination, and φ is the azimuth. To convert from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, use the formulas r = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2), θ = arccos(z/r), and φ = arctan(y/x).