Get Help with Mathematica | Learn to Solve Equations Efficiently

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter toni123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of Mathematica in showing intermediate steps for solving problems. While some tutoring systems do offer this feature, they are limited in the types of problems they can solve and it may be more beneficial to do the calculations by hand. Mathematica and programs like it are useful for checking results, but not for showing the step-by-step process.
toni123
Is there anybody who can help me about Mathematica?
I just bought it and i can't find command so i could see whole process of solving not just result.
For example: a^2+b^2=c^2
?
?
?
a=
b=
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please explain what you want in more detail?

I want to see whole process how it came to the result
It always gives me only result but i don't know how did it get it

Example:
5+x=8
x=8-5
x=3
I won't to see it like this
and not like this
5+x=8
x=3

Er... Why?

Either way, most calculations in Mathematica are quite complex, so I doubt there'd be a way to convince it to show each step.

--J

Because of that they are complex i need each step

Mathmatica is not set up to show intermediate results in that way. And in fact, some of the ways that it solves even simple problems are conceptually very complex, due to the way that the symbolic manipulation system is programmed.

James R said:
Mathmatica is not set up to show intermediate results in that way. And in fact, some of the ways that it solves even simple problems are conceptually very complex, due to the way that the symbolic manipulation system is programmed.

That's right. All it's ever going to give you is the answer and just that.

Is there any other program which can do that ??

Unfortunately, you'll have to do the intermediate steps on your own by hand with pencil and paper.

--J

Justin Lazear said:
Unfortunately, you'll have to do the intermediate steps on your own by hand with pencil and paper.

Now, isn't that more fun than having a computer do it for you?

There are some tutoring systems for math that show the intermediate steps, but only for a some limited number of "problem shemes".

Instead of going over the trouble (and expense) of buying such programs and learning how to properly use them, you may be much better off just doing the calculations yourself.

Programs like Mathematica and Maple are useful to check intermediate steps when you already know which to do. For instance, if you need to multiply two big polynomials as part of the solution for a problem, you may want to check your result before proceeding further. Mathematica will not show the procedure for the multiplication, but it will give you the correct result for that kind of tedious operation.

Related to Get Help with Mathematica | Learn to Solve Equations Efficiently

1. What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a computer program used for mathematical and scientific calculations, data analysis, and visualization. It is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. How do I get started with Mathematica?

To get started with Mathematica, you can download and install the program on your computer. You can also access it through a web browser using the Wolfram Cloud service. Once you have the program open, you can explore the various features and functions using the built-in documentation and tutorials.

3. Can Mathematica help with complex mathematical calculations?

Yes, Mathematica is designed to handle complex mathematical calculations and equations. It has a wide range of built-in functions and algorithms that can solve equations, perform integrations and differentiations, and more. It also has the ability to handle symbolic calculations, making it useful for theoretical research.

4. Can Mathematica help with data analysis and visualization?

Yes, Mathematica has powerful tools for data analysis and visualization. It can import and manipulate data from various sources, perform statistical analysis, and create interactive visualizations. It also has built-in machine learning functions for data prediction and classification.

5. Is Mathematica suitable for beginners?

While Mathematica has a steep learning curve, it is suitable for beginners as well as advanced users. It has a user-friendly interface and comprehensive documentation that can help beginners get started with the program. There are also many online resources and communities available for support and learning.