Get WolframAlpha to Plot Slope Fields to DE's

In summary, the slope field calculator applet from the forum thread is a good option for obtaining slope fields.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Does anybody (Jester?) know how to get WolframAlpha to plot slope fields to, say, $y'=f(x,y)$? For example, $y'=x^{2}$, and I want the slope field plotted up with $x\in[-2,2]$ and $y\in[-2,2]$. What would the actual command be?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think It's VectorPlot. But for some reason WolframAlpha doesn't understand this and just plots dumb topological graphs. Curiously though, if you just ask it "vector plot" it will provide you with configuration options and you can enter your equation/bounds there, but it's a bit awkward to use.​

This works fine under Mathematica 9 though (sorry I typed in the bounds wrong):

Code:
VectorPlot[{x^2, y}, {x, -3, 3}, {y, -3, 3}]

e5v6Zwn.png

Is this what you mean? Or do you want to differentiate/integrate it first etc..

Yeah, I tried VectorPlot on WA, but it's not giving me what I want. What I want is this sort of thing. This applet is doing what I want, but I'd kind of prefer the safety of WA, if I can get it. I'd rather have short, undirected line segments than the variable length arrows. The problem with the latter is that when the magnitude is small, it's hard to tell in what direction they're pointing.

Ackbach said:
Does anybody (Jester?) know how to get WolframAlpha to plot slope fields to, say, $y'=f(x,y)$? For example, $y'=x^{2}$, and I want the slope field plotted up with $x\in[-2,2]$ and $y\in[-2,2]$. What would the actual command be?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ackbach,

I doubt whether WolframAlpha supports drawing slope fields. There is a discussion about this in their forums but there's no indication there on how to do this. I used to draw them using Maxima.

Code:
load("plotdf");

plotdf([1,x^2],[x,-2,2],[y,-2,2]);

2yvmqtu.png

Ackbach said:
Yeah, I tried VectorPlot on WA, but it's not giving me what I want. What I want is this sort of thing. This applet is doing what I want, but I'd kind of prefer the safety of WA, if I can get it. I'd rather have short, undirected line segments than the variable length arrows. The problem with the latter is that when the magnitude is small, it's hard to tell in what direction they're pointing.

You might also be interested in the applet posted in the forum thread I have liked above.

Slope Field Calculator

Sudharaka said:
Hi Ackbach,

I doubt whether WolframAlpha supports drawing slope fields. There is a discussion about this in their forums but there's no indication there on how to do this. I used to draw them using Maxima.

Code:
load("plotdf");

plotdf([1,x^2],[x,-2,2],[y,-2,2]);

2yvmqtu.png

You might also be interested in the applet posted in the forum thread I have liked above.

Slope Field Calculator

That last one seems pretty good. Thanks for that link!

Ackbach said:
That last one seems pretty good. Thanks for that link!

Glad to be of help. :)

Related to Get WolframAlpha to Plot Slope Fields to DE's

1. What is WolframAlpha?

WolframAlpha is a computational knowledge engine that provides answers and generates visualizations for a wide range of mathematical and scientific queries.

2. How can I access WolframAlpha?

WolframAlpha can be accessed through its website or through its mobile app, which is available for both iOS and Android devices.

3. What are slope fields and DE's?

Slope fields are visual representations of differential equations, which are mathematical equations that describe how one variable changes in relation to another. They are useful in understanding the behavior of a system over time.

4. How can I get WolframAlpha to plot slope fields for DE's?

To get WolframAlpha to plot slope fields for DE's, simply type in the differential equation into the search bar and click on the "Solve" button. WolframAlpha will then generate the slope field plot for the given equation.

5. What are some potential applications of using WolframAlpha to plot slope fields for DE's?

Some potential applications include analyzing and predicting the behavior of physical systems, such as population growth or chemical reactions, and understanding patterns in data sets. It can also be helpful in visualizing and solving complex mathematical problems.