Given: parallelogram and right angle; Prove: parallelogram

In summary, the person is asking for help understanding proofs and geometry. They are not able to illustrate them or prove the reasons statements are valid. They would like a good resource for learning this language and mechanics.
Joodez
kaLbypg.png

I'm curious if it looks like I defined the reasons correctly to prove that FBCD is indeed a parallelogram. Specifically, I'm unsure if I'm using #4 "definition of coincident" and #5,6 "reflexive property" correctly in their terminology. I don't have anyone else, or any teacher to ping this back to or I would try to not waste space here. This is my finished proof:

IWMfDfz.jpg

I apologize about cutting the top half of the worked problem off. It should be mirrored to the unworked problem above. If it helps, I can repost the image upon request.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wasn't ##AD // BC## because ABCE is a parallelogram ?

And isn't there a theorem stating ##\angle F = \angle D \rightarrow FB // CD ## ?
And then you have enough to state FBCD is a parallelogram.

BvU said:
Wasn't ##AD // BC## because ABCE is a parallelogram ?

And isn't there a theorem stating ##\angle F = \angle D \rightarrow FB // CD ## ?
And then you have enough to state FBCD is a parallelogram.
Sorry for the late reply, just got back from school.

Am I allowed to automatically assume that AD // BC because of the two 90° angles lying upon the line. I understand that this is true, but am I allowed to state this like:
AD//BC : ABCE is a parallelogram

or is there another way in which I must state this, such as:
∠F and ∠D are both _|_ (or maybe supplementary together?), whilst lying on the same line AE, which is stated to be parallel to BC based on the property of a parallelogram having parallel opposite sides.

Also, finding "parallelogram converses," I see that:

If both pairs of opposite angles of a quadrilateral are congruent, the quadrilateral is a parallelogram.

Does this reason satisfy #4. I want to say that because both of these opposite angles are congruent to one another, and also a special case of 90°, that they form a rectangle and thus must be a parallelogram, based on the definition of a rectangle.

Joodez said:
Am I allowed to automatically assume that AD // BC because of the two 90° angles lying upon the line. I understand that this is true, but am I allowed to state this like:
AD//BC : ABCE is a parallelogram
ABCE is a parallelogram is a given. From that you conclude ##AD//BC## so ##FD//BC##.
To prove that FDBC is a parallelogram, you have to either prove ##FB//DC##, or, quoting
Joodez said:
If both pairs of opposite angles of a quadrilateral are congruent, the quadrilateral is a parallelogram.
that ##\angle B = \angle D## and ##\angle C = \angle F##.

With the first you are done when there is
BvU said:
a theorem stating ∠F=∠D→FB//CD∠F=∠D→FB//CD\angle F = \angle D \rightarrow FB // CD ?
With the second you kind of have the reverse theorem(And I am positive that one exists -- even after 50+ years):
##AB//CE \Rightarrow \angle BAF = \angle CED##. That can lead you to ## \angle BFD = \angle BCD## and idem ##\angle B = \angle D##

BvU said:
ABCE is a parallelogram is a given. From that you conclude ##AD//BC## so ##FD//BC##.
To prove that FDBC is a parallelogram, you have to either prove ##FB//DC##, or, quoting
that ##\angle B = \angle D## and ##\angle C = \angle F##.

With the first you are done when there is

With the second you kind of have the reverse theorem(And I am positive that one exists -- even after 50+ years):
##AB//CE \Rightarrow \angle BAF = \angle CED##. That can lead you to ## \angle BFD = \angle BCD## and idem ##\angle B = \angle D##

I've realized that I need to do a complete reboot of proofs. I understand most of the principles and techniques discovered in geometry. However, I cannot successfully illustrate proofs and especially the reasons for which statements are valid. Thank you for your assistance. I would like to ask one final question and that is:

What is a good resource for someone without a geometry book to learn the language and mechanics of "proofs" as utilized in geometry? So far I've been searching about for rules and etc, but if there's a comprehensive guide of any length, I would really appreciate being pointed in that direction.

Related to Given: parallelogram and right angle; Prove: parallelogram

1. What is a parallelogram?

A parallelogram is a four-sided shape with opposite sides that are parallel and equal in length. It also has opposite angles that are equal in measure.

2. How do you know if a figure is a parallelogram?

To determine if a figure is a parallelogram, you must check if its opposite sides are parallel and equal in length, and if its opposite angles are equal in measure. If these conditions are met, then the figure is a parallelogram.

3. What is a right angle?

A right angle is an angle that measures exactly 90 degrees. It is formed when two lines intersect at a 90-degree angle.

4. Can a parallelogram have a right angle?

Yes, a parallelogram can have a right angle. In fact, if a parallelogram has a right angle, it is called a rectangle.

5. How do you prove that a parallelogram has a right angle?

To prove that a parallelogram has a right angle, you must first show that the opposite sides are parallel and equal in length. Then, you must show that the opposite angles are equal in measure. If both of these conditions are met, then you can conclude that the parallelogram has a right angle.