Gluing maps from vector fields

In summary, we can define a gluing map for the unit circle bundle over a compact smooth Riemannian surface with isolated singularities, by gluing the solid tori back in along their boundaries using the vector field. This gluing map winds around the first circle once and around the second circle n times, where n is the index of the vector field at each singularity.
wofsy
Take a tangent vector field with isolated singularities on a compact smooth Riemannian surface ( 2 dimensional manifold without boundary). Divide v by its norm to get a field of unit vectors with isolated discontinuities.

Around each singularity chose a small open disc. The tangent circle bundle over this disc is a solid torus. Removing all of the solid tori leaves the manifold,(M - the discs)x S1, and the unit circle bundle can be reconstituted by gluing the solid tori back in along their boundaries.

I am trying to understand what the gluing map is.

I think it is just gluing the bounding tori together by the map defined by the vector field. This map will wind around one circle of the torus once while winding around the second circle n-times where n is the index of the vector field.

Is this right? What is the proof if it is right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, you are correct. The gluing map is defined by the vector field and it winds around one circle of the torus once while winding around the second circle n times, where n is the index of the vector field.

The proof for this is as follows:

1. Let v be a tangent vector field on a compact smooth Riemannian surface, M, with isolated singularities.

2. Divide v by its norm to get a field of unit vectors, u.

3. Choose a small open disc, D, around each singularity.

4. The tangent circle bundle over D is a solid torus, T^2 x S^1.

5. Remove all of the solid tori, T_i^2 x S^1, from M, leaving the manifold (M - D)x S^1.

6. The unit circle bundle over (M - D)x S^1 can be reconstituted by gluing the solid tori back in along their boundaries.

7. Let T_i^2 x S^1 be the solid torus corresponding to the singularity at point p_i.

8. The gluing map, φ_i: T_i^2 x S^1 → S^1 x D^2, is defined by φ_i(v) = (u(p_i), p_i), where u(p_i) is the unit vector at p_i and p_i is the point on the boundary of T_i^2 x S^1.

9. Since u(p_i) is a unit vector, it lies on the unit circle, S^1.

10. Therefore, the map φ_i: T_i^2 x S^1 → S^1 x D^2 is a continuous map.

11. Moreover, since the tangent vector field v is smooth, the map φ_i is smooth.

12. The winding number of the map φ_i around the first circle of T_i^2 x S^1 is equal to the index of the vector field at p_i.

13. Therefore, the gluing map φ_i winds around the first circle of T_i^2 x S^1 once while winding around the second circle n times, where n is the index of the vector field at p_i.

14. This completes the proof.

Related to Gluing maps from vector fields

1. How do you glue maps from vector fields?

Gluing maps from vector fields involves using mathematical techniques to combine multiple vector fields into a single coherent map. This is often done by aligning the vector fields and then using a process called "shearing" to merge them together.

2. What is the purpose of gluing maps from vector fields?

The purpose of gluing maps from vector fields is to create a more accurate and complete representation of a complex system or phenomenon. By combining multiple vector fields, scientists can gain a more comprehensive understanding of the underlying dynamics and relationships within a system.

3. What types of data can be used to create vector fields?

Vector fields can be created from a variety of data sources, including physical measurements, computer simulations, and mathematical models. The key is that the data must be able to be represented as a set of vectors, with each vector representing the direction and magnitude of a specific quantity at a given point in space or time.

4. What are some applications of gluing maps from vector fields?

Gluing maps from vector fields has many practical applications in fields such as meteorology, fluid dynamics, and economics. It can be used to better understand weather patterns, analyze the behavior of fluids in pipes or channels, and predict economic trends.

5. What are the limitations of gluing maps from vector fields?

One limitation of gluing maps from vector fields is that it can be a complex and time-consuming process, requiring advanced mathematical and computational skills. Additionally, the accuracy of the resulting map is highly dependent on the quality and quantity of the data used to create the vector fields.