Grad School: Philosophy of Physics & Math, Logic & Paradoxes

In summary, the speaker is considering pursuing a graduate degree in philosophy of physics, math, logic, and paradoxes. They mention finding a program at Columbia University and inquire about the difficulty of obtaining a teaching position at a university in this field. The response suggests that the job market in academia is highly competitive and may require a PhD for a reasonable chance at securing a position. The speaker also shares a helpful metaphor for understanding the difficulty of obtaining funding for research in a particular field.
cragar
I was thinking about going to grad school to study philosophy of physics and math, and logic and paradoxes.
I was googling around to try and find a school, Columbia has something like it,
If I get a Masters or doctorate in this field, would it be hard to get a teaching position at a university? Or should I do something more applied.

Physics news on Phys.org
The field would be work in philosophy.
Note: it is hard to get a teaching position at a University - period.
A minimum standard to have a reasonable hope would be a PhD.

cragar said:
I was thinking about going to grad school to study philosophy of physics and math, and logic and paradoxes.
I was googling around to try and find a school, Columbia has something like it,
If I get a Masters or doctorate in this field, would it be hard to get a teaching position at a university? Or should I do something more applied.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=4536

... and people thought getting a job in physics is difficult!

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that you have identified exactly one program will give you some ideas of how competitive the job market will be.

Something that's really helped me in my academic career has been to imagine the following scenario...

You are given the task of raising the money to fund your research. You have a large amount of time - say one year, but the only way you can raise the monye is by randomly approaching people on the street, explaining whatever you want about the research in two minutes or less and asking for a donation.

As you can imagine, this will be more easy to do for some subjects than others.

Some problems may be so abstract that the only way you can get any money at all for them is to lump them together and sell them as "the value to solutions of abstract problems" but then, you have to split your pot with everyone else who is working on a related abstract problem.

While this metaphor has it's limitations I think it gives you a good idea of how easy it is to get a job doing academic work of any kind.

Related to Grad School: Philosophy of Physics & Math, Logic & Paradoxes

1. What is the purpose of studying philosophy of physics and math?

The purpose of studying philosophy of physics and math is to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts that underlie these fields. It involves examining the nature of reality, the foundations of mathematical reasoning, and the implications of scientific theories. It also helps to develop critical thinking skills and the ability to analyze complex ideas.

2. What are some common topics covered in this field of study?

Some common topics in philosophy of physics and math include the nature of space and time, the relationship between mathematics and the physical world, the role of symmetry in physics, the concept of causation, and the nature of scientific laws and theories. Other topics may include the philosophy of quantum mechanics, the philosophy of mathematics, and the philosophy of computation.

3. What is the relationship between logic and paradoxes?

Logic is the study of valid reasoning and argumentation, while paradoxes are seemingly contradictory or illogical statements or situations. In philosophy of logic, the study of paradoxes helps to uncover flaws in logical systems and challenge traditional assumptions about logic. Paradoxes also play a role in the study of philosophy of math and physics, as they can reveal inconsistencies or limitations in our current understanding of these fields.

4. How does this field of study relate to other branches of philosophy?

Philosophy of physics and math is closely related to other branches of philosophy, such as epistemology (the study of knowledge), metaphysics (the study of reality), and philosophy of science. It also intersects with other fields of study, including physics, mathematics, and computer science. Many philosophical debates in these areas often involve concepts and theories from philosophy of physics and math.

5. What career paths can be pursued with a degree in philosophy of physics and math?

Graduates with a degree in philosophy of physics and math can pursue careers in academia, teaching at the university level, or conducting research in related fields. They may also work in science communication, policy-making, or as consultants for science-based organizations. This field also provides a strong foundation for further study in fields such as physics, mathematics, and computer science.