Grassmann Integration: Clarifying Notation in "hep-th/0108200

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation of Grassman integration and how to interpret the formula for Grassman variables with two components. It is discovered that the convention used in the textbook differs from the commonly used convention, but it is ultimately shown that both conventions lead to the same result. The conclusion is that d\theta_1 d\theta_2 = - d\theta_2 d\theta_1.
Korybut
Hi, everyone!

I am trying to understand notation of this textbook http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0108200

page 8, formulas 2.1.4 and 2.1.5

$$\int d \theta_\alpha \theta^\beta=\delta_\alpha^\beta$$

this could be found in any textbook the weird that from the above formula follows

$$\int d^2 \theta \; \theta^2=-1$$

I know what θ2 means, but what is d2θ I could hardly guess. According to standard Berezin definition there should be $i$ in the r.h.s. of the last formula

Please help to clarify this

Best wishes
Korybut Anatoly

Physics news on Phys.org
Grassman integration is the same as Grassman's derivation, so unless I am mistaken it should be 2 and not -1.

Think of it as: [tex]d^2(\theta^2)/d^2 \theta[/tex]

I leave this to the experts.

I'm not a fan of the notation in this text. But in general, for a Grassmann variable with two components like ##\theta##, we have ##d^2\theta=d\theta_1 d\theta_2##. This is like writing ##d^3x=dx_1 dx_2 dx_3## for a vector ##\vec x##.

Then, if ##\theta^2 =\theta_1\theta_2## (which is true in everybody's convention up to some factor like ##-1## or ##i##), we have
[tex]\int d^2\theta\,\theta^2 = \int d\theta_1d\theta_2\,\theta_1\theta_2=-\int d\theta_2d\theta_1\theta_1\theta_2=-\int d\theta_2\,\theta_2=-1.[/tex]
Edit: I'm using the convention ##\int d\theta_\alpha\,\theta_\beta=\delta_{\alpha\beta}##, which differs from this text.

Likes Demystifier
Avodyne said:
I'm not a fan of the notation in this text. But in general, for a Grassmann variable with two components like ##\theta##, we have ##d^2\theta=d\theta_1 d\theta_2##. This is like writing ##d^3x=dx_1 dx_2 dx_3## for a vector ##\vec x##.

Then, if ##\theta^2 =\theta_1\theta_2## (which is true in everybody's convention up to some factor like ##-1## or ##i##), we have
[tex]\int d^2\theta\,\theta^2 = \int d\theta_1d\theta_2\,\theta_1\theta_2=-\int d\theta_2d\theta_1\theta_1\theta_2=-\int d\theta_2\,\theta_2=-1.[/tex]
Edit: I'm using the convention ##\int d\theta_\alpha\,\theta_\beta=\delta_{\alpha\beta}##, which differs from this text.
I know that ##\theta## anticommute, but how one deduce that ##d\theta## obey the same rule

[itex]\int d \theta_1 d \theta_2 \theta_1 \theta_2 = - \int d \theta_1 d \theta_2 \theta_2 \theta_1 = - \int d \theta_1 \theta_1 = -1 = - \int d \theta_2 d \theta_1 \theta_1 \theta_2[/itex]

and

[itex]\int d \theta_1 d \theta_2 \theta_2 \theta_1 = 1 = \int d \theta_2 d \theta_1 \theta_1 \theta_2 = - \int d \theta_2 d \theta_1 \theta_2 \theta_1[/itex].

Last edited:
So I've proved

[itex]\int d \theta_1 d \theta_2 ( \theta_1 \theta_2) = - \int d \theta_2 d \theta_1 (\theta_1 \theta_2)[/itex]

This obviously implies

[itex]\int d \theta_1 d \theta_2 ( \theta_2 \theta_1) = - \int d \theta_2 d \theta_1 (\theta_2 \theta_1)[/itex].

So [itex]d \theta_1 d \theta_2 = - d \theta_2 d \theta_1[/itex]

Related to Grassmann Integration: Clarifying Notation in "hep-th/0108200

1. What is Grassmann integration?

Grassmann integration is a mathematical technique used in theoretical physics for integrating over anticommuting variables, also known as Grassmann numbers. It is a generalization of the more familiar concept of integration over commuting variables, and is commonly used in the field of high energy physics.

2. Why is Grassmann integration important in theoretical physics?

Grassmann integration allows for the incorporation of fermionic variables, such as spinor fields, into the mathematical formalism of quantum field theory. This is crucial for describing fundamental particles, such as electrons and quarks, which have spin 1/2 and follow Fermi-Dirac statistics.

3. What is the notation used in the "hep-th/0108200" paper for Grassmann integration?

The notation used in this paper follows the conventions of supersymmetry and supergravity, with the use of boldface letters for Grassmann variables and the notation "dθ" for infinitesimal integration over a single Grassmann variable. The integration symbol "∫" is also used, with the understanding that it represents integration over Grassmann variables.

4. What is the purpose of clarifying notation in this paper?

The purpose of clarifying notation in this paper is to make the mathematical expressions and equations involving Grassmann integration more concise and easier to read and understand. This notation is also widely used in the field of high energy physics, so clarifying it can help readers better understand and use the concepts presented in the paper.

5. Are there any limitations to Grassmann integration?

One limitation of Grassmann integration is that it cannot be used to integrate over commuting variables. It is also not applicable to all mathematical problems and is mainly used in the context of quantum field theory and supersymmetry. Additionally, care must be taken when performing calculations involving Grassmann variables, as their anticommutativity can lead to unexpected results.