Gravitational acceleration magnitude - confused

help6
Homework Statement
Let g be the magnitude of the gravitational acceleration at the surface of a perfectly spherical planet with mass M, radius R, and uniform density. What is the magnitude of gravitational acceleration at a distance R/4 from the center of the planet.
Relevant Equations
I figured the relevant equation would be g=(GM)/r^2
The given answer is g/4. But when I substituted R/4 into the radius, I get 16GM. Am I just using the wrong equation altogether? He also said that you also got g/4 if the distance was 2R.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "shell theorem".

Likes Tomy World
Ibix said:
Google "shell theorem".
I'm sorry, I understand shell theorem, but I still don't get why r/4 and 2r (which is also from the center of the planet) have the same gravitational acceleration. Can you please expound?

If you understand the shell theorem you know how to calculate the gravitational acceleration at ##R/4## and you know how to calculate it at ##2R## (note that if you are using ##r## for a radial coordinate it is unwise to also use it for the fixed radius of your sphere - so I am using ##R## for the latter).

Why are they equal? If gravitational acceleration is a maximum at ##r=R## and goes smoothly to zero at ##r=0## and ##r\rightarrow\infty## then there has to be somewhere outside the sphere where the acceleration is equal to any given point inside.

Put differently, the M in your relevant equation is the total mass inside of the radius R. Outside of the planet this is always the total mass of the planet but not so inside.

Likes PeroK