Gravitational Potential Energy-Work (ΔU) Question

In summary, the string with a ball attached to one end and fixed at the other end has a length of 120 cm. When released from a horizontal position, the ball will swing along a dashed arc, with a distance of 75.0 cm to a fixed peg at point P. Using the equations ##-ΔU=W## and ##W=\frac 1 2 m((v_f)^2-(v_i)^2)##, the speed of the ball at its lowest point is 4.85 m/s and at its highest point is 3.83 m/s. However, the book states the speed at the highest point to be 2.42 m/s, as the highest point is
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The string (in the pic) is L=120 cm long,has a ball attached to one end,and is fixed as its other end.The distance d from the fixed point end to a fixed peg at point P is 75.0cm.When the initally stationary ball is released with the string horizontal as shown,it will swing along the dashed arc.Whats its speed when it reaches (a) its lowest point and (b) its higest point after the string catches on the peg ?

Homework Equations

##(ΔU)=U_f-U_i##
##-ΔU=W##
##W=\frac 1 2 m((v_f)^2-(v_i)^2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B] İts lowest point is in A.Using;
##-ΔU=W##
##W=\frac 1 2 m((v_f)^2-(v_i)^2)##
we get

##-mgH+mg(H+d+r)=\frac 1 2m(v_f)^2-0##
##2gL=(v_f)^2##
##2.9.8\frac {m} {s^2}.1.2m=(v_f)^2##
##v_f=4.85 \frac m s##
which its speed in the lowest point.And answer for part (a)

For part (b),The object has inital speed ##v_i=4.85 \frac m s## and goes point B.
same equations;

##-mg(H+r)+mg(H)=\frac 1 2 m((v_f)^2-(v_i)^2)##
##\frac 1 2m(v_i)^2-mgr=\frac 1 2 m(v_f)^2##
If we multiply by 2 and divide m we get
##(v_i)^2-2gr=(v_f)^2##
##((4.85 \frac m s)^2)-(2.9.8\frac {m} {s^2}.0.45m)=(v_f)^2##
##23.52\frac {m^2} {s^2}-8.82\frac {m^2} {s^2}=(v_f)^2##
##v_f=3.83\frac m s##

which book says ##v_f=2.42\frac m s##
Where did I go wrong ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Paint 2.png
    Paint 2.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the sketch from the book?

The highest point is not at B (as it is marked in the sketch). Your speed is correct for point B, but it will continue to go up beyond that point. The answer of the book takes that into account.

mfb said:
Is the sketch from the book?

The highest point is not at B (as it is marked in the sketch). Your speed is correct for point B, but it will continue to go up beyond that point. The answer of the book takes that into account.

I put A and B and H other then that its just like the book.It can go higher but I don't know where it can go max ? and if its I don't know the angle to find the "how high"?

Arman777 said:
but I don't know where it can go max ?
Think of the string length. What is the distance of both A and B to P? What will be the distance of the highest point to P? You can assume that the string will stay taut (you can also prove this, but that is beyond the scope of this question).

mfb said:
Think of the string length. What is the distance of both A and B to P? What will be the distance of the highest point to P? You can assume that the string will stay taut (you can also prove this, but that is beyond the scope of this question).

I solved thanks.Just it sounded awkward

Related to Gravitational Potential Energy-Work (ΔU) Question

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is directly related to an object's mass and its height above a reference point.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is U = mgh, where U is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the reference point.

3. What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and work?

Gravitational potential energy and work are closely related, as work is defined as the transfer of energy from one form to another. In the case of gravitational potential energy, work is done when an object moves from a higher position to a lower position in a gravitational field.

4. Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the reference point used for calculating potential energy is set above the object's starting position. In this case, the object's potential energy would decrease as it moves towards the reference point.

5. How is gravitational potential energy used in everyday life?

Gravitational potential energy can be found in many everyday activities, such as lifting objects, riding a roller coaster, or climbing a hill. It is also a crucial concept in understanding the motion of objects in space, such as satellites orbiting around a planet.