Gravitational wave signal duration

In summary, the gravitational wave signal detected by LIGO had a duration of 0.25 seconds, due to the loss of angular momentum as the two binary black holes rotate around each other. The frequency of the gravitational wave increased as the objects got closer together, and ceased once the objects merged and settled into a single spinning object.
jordankonisky
I have a question about why the duration of the gravitational wave signal detected by LIGO was 0.25 seconds or so. I think I understand correctly that as the two binary black holes rotate around each other and move closer together there is a loss of angular momentum that is converted to gravitational waves of a certain frequency. The generation of gravitational waves would then end upon the merging of the two black holes. My questions are: is the frequency of the gravitation wave constant throughout the entire history of the black hole merger? Is this frequency red-shifted in the gravitational wave’s journey from its source to the LIGO instrument due to the expansion of the universe? Why is the duration of the signal 0.25 seconds?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The frequency rapidly increased as the objects moved closer together. It would be redshifted. It started once the objects got close enough that their gravitational waves became sufficiently energetic to be detectable at this distance, and stopped once the objects merged and settled into a single spinning object.

For more information and links to other sources, see this Wikipedia entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_observation_of_gravitational_waves

Jonathan Scott said:
The frequency rapidly increased as the objects moved closer together. It would be redshifted. It started once the objects got close enough that their gravitational waves became sufficiently energetic to be detectable at this distance, and stopped once the objects merged and settled into a single spinning object.

So the quantum wave frequency over the duration of the pulse detected by LIGO increase over its 0.25 duration?
Jonathan Scott said:

So the frequency of the gravitational wave increases during the approximately 0.25 second duration of the signal being detected by LIGO?

jordankonisky said:
So the quantum wave frequency over the duration of the pulse detected by LIGO increase over its 0.25 duration?
There's nothing quantum about it. The energy of a gravitational wave increases rapidly as the objects get closer (so the gravity is stronger and the rate of change is much faster).

jordankonisky said:
So the frequency of the gravitational wave increases during the approximately 0.25 second duration of the signal being detected by LIGO?
Yes, I just said that. You can see a graph of the wave as observed at each detector and the corresponding theoretical prediction in the Wikipedia entry.

Jonathan Scott said:
There's nothing quantum about it. The energy of a gravitational wave increases rapidly as the objects get closer (so the gravity is stronger and the rate of change is much faster).Yes, I just said that. You can see a graph of the wave as observed at each detector and the corresponding theoretical prediction in the Wikipedia entry.
Got it. I very much appreciate your responses to my questions.

Related to Gravitational wave signal duration

1. What is the duration of a typical gravitational wave signal?

The duration of a typical gravitational wave signal can range from a fraction of a second to several minutes, depending on the source and strength of the signal. The longest recorded gravitational wave signal lasted for about 100 seconds.

2. How does the duration of a gravitational wave signal affect its strength?

The duration of a gravitational wave signal does not necessarily determine its strength. A shorter signal does not necessarily mean a weaker signal, as it could be caused by a strong and sudden event. However, longer signals may allow for more precise measurements and analysis.

3. Can the duration of a gravitational wave signal be predicted?

The duration of a gravitational wave signal cannot be predicted with complete accuracy. It is dependent on the source of the signal and the conditions in which it was produced. However, scientists can make estimates based on the properties of the source.

4. How do scientists measure the duration of a gravitational wave signal?

Scientists measure the duration of a gravitational wave signal by analyzing the data collected by gravitational wave detectors, such as LIGO and Virgo. They use sophisticated algorithms and software to analyze the signal and determine its duration.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the duration of a gravitational wave signal?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the duration of a gravitational wave signal. These include the distance of the source from Earth, the strength of the event that caused the wave, and any interactions the wave may have had with other objects in its path.