Gravity between objects on Earth

In summary: RefData/RefData.pdfIn summary, the force of gravity between two objects on Earth isn't significant enough for there to be an apparent acceleration between the objects. However, the force of gravity between two massive objects, like the Great Pyramid of Giza, is quite significant.
UMath1
I always thought the force of gravity between two objects on Earth wasn't significant enough for there to be an apparent acceleration between the objects. But I tried calculating the force of gravity for massive objects, like the Great Pyramid of Giza, the force seems to be quite significant. In fact, for a 60 kg person it would be about 24 N when 1 meter away from the pyramid. Why then, is there no observable acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
UMath1 said:
But I tried calculating the force of gravity for massive objects, like the Great Pyramid of Giza, the force seems to be quite significant. In fact, for a 60 kg person it would be about 24 N when 1 meter away from the pyramid
That seems too large.
UMath1 said:
Why then, is there no observable acceleration?
There is. Both the magnitude and the direction of the Earth's local gravitational field can be affected by mountains or other large objects. This is measurable with careful gravimetric measurements.

UMath1 said:
I always thought the force of gravity between two objects on Earth wasn't significant enough for there to be an apparent acceleration between the objects. But I tried calculating the force of gravity for massive objects, like the Great Pyramid of Giza, the force seems to be quite significant. In fact, for a 60 kg person it would be about 24 N when 1 meter away from the pyramid. Why then, is there no observable acceleration?

That seems waaaay too large. Remember that the pyramid is a very large object and the vast majority of its mass is well beyond 1 meter away from a person standing next to it.

I think your error is probably that you can't be 1 meter away from the entire mass of the pyramid, since it is roughly 100 meters across. The pyramid will act as though the mass were concentrated at its center, so the closest you can get is roughly 100 meters away, which reduces the force by a factor of 10^4. Try looking up the Shell theorem, which explains why a uniform spherical object acts as though all of the mass is concentrated at the center. The Great pyramid is not a sphere, but the same reasoning will roughly apply.

I think the main point to consider is that the great pyramid, or even Mt Everest has a much smaller gravitation than does the entrire Earth.
Although those do have a gravitation field, it is close to irrelevant when compared to the Earth as a whole for an object standing on the surface of Earth.
Something like the great pyramid if it were free floating in space would be comparable to a typical asteroid or comet.
Getting the Rosetta spacecraft to successfully manage an orbit around something that small was a considerable feat of engineering.

Related to Gravity between objects on Earth

1. What causes gravity between objects on Earth?

The force of gravity between objects on Earth is caused by the mass of the objects. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

2. Does the distance between objects affect the strength of gravity?

Yes, the distance between objects does affect the strength of gravity. The farther apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational pull on each other will be.

3. How does gravity affect the motion of objects on Earth?

Gravity affects the motion of objects on Earth by pulling them towards the center of the Earth. This is what causes objects to fall towards the ground when dropped.

4. Can gravity be blocked or shielded?

No, gravity cannot be blocked or shielded. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present between objects with mass.

5. How was the strength of gravity between objects on Earth first measured?

The strength of gravity between objects on Earth was first measured by Sir Isaac Newton using his famous equation, F = G (m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.