Gravity in Space: Exploring the Mysteries of Nature

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity in space and how it affects the motion and orbits of objects such as planets and space stations. The participants also bring up the idea of weightlessness and how it is not a lack of gravity, but rather a result of being in a constant state of free fall. The conversation also touches on the humorous quote from Douglas Adams about the creation of the universe and the role of gravity in it. They also mention the intersecting points of orbits and how they are influenced by gravity. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance and presence of gravity in the universe.
LiqurC
I viewed a lot of websites. Most says that there is no gravity in space. Is it true? Coz what i have in my head is that. earth, Sun, Moon and every otehr stars or planets all seems to follow their path and keep themselves inside that path. Like cars on a traffic road stays in their own lanes. In many space or sci-fict movies, or even real, when there is no gravity - things tend to fly in all dirctions. But how come large objects like earth, sun seems to keep in their own motion. Instead of flyin insto all dirctions.

It is said that when a smaller subject is put nxt to a larger object with greater mass, the small object tend to be pulled into the larger object. And that is how us humans tend to be stuck onto earth... not flying around.

So, if earth, sun and moon.. or any other planets tend to follow their own circular motion. Then there must be a gravity force or some sort of similar force acting on those large objects ( as in earth.sun...etc). So where would the central gravity force be?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
what i means by path is orbit ^^

An orbit is a regular, repeating path that an object in space takes around another one. An object in an orbit is called a satellite. A satellite can be natural, like the moon, or human (or extraterrestrial?) -made.

LiqurC said:
I viewed a lot of websites. Most says that there is no gravity in space. Is it true?

No.

If you are within a space-station orbiting the Earth then both you and the space-station experience a gravitational attraction towards the Earth. The result is that you and the space-station accelerate towards the Earth at the same rate. The combination of inertia (the tendency to keep moving in a straight line at constant speed) and acceleration towards the Earth means that you both follow an orbital trajectory around the Earth.

If you could suddenly stop both you and the space-station then you would both start to fall towards the centre of the Earth, and as long as there were no other forces acting on the space-station (for example air resistance due to motion through the Earth's atmosphere) then both you and the space-station would accelerate at the same rate. If you tried to stand on a set of scales to weigh yourself then the reading would be zero since you and the scales are falling at the same rate.

"Weightlessness" does not imply a lack of gravity. For further reading, have a look at the wikipedia article on weightlessness... (Sorry I can't post a direct link due to restrictions on this forum).

Gravity is everywhere. The effects are most noticeable on universal scales.

Thanks Chronos. But i do not get exactly what you mean...

what does it mean by ---------In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

isnt it at the beginin when the universe was created, human-beings haven't formed yet??

Gravity is a curvature in space.

Imagine an elastic fabric and pull all four of its sides.Keep a heavy object in the middle. You will notice circular wrinkles formed. That's exactly how the orbits are formed. But the question is how does two orbits intersect sometimes?

LiqurC said:

what does it mean by ---------In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

isnt it at the beginin when the universe was created, human-beings haven't formed yet??

I take it that you are not familiar with the humor of Douglas Adams.

LiqurC said:

It refers to the other beings beside humans, who came down from the trees, and who subsequently invented watches and little pieces of paper called currency.

LiqurC said:
I viewed a lot of websites. Most says that there is no gravity in space. Is it true?
I can't imagine that there are many sites that would say such a thing. I suspect you are misinterpreting what you are reading.

Your instincts are correct: in order for an object to stay in orbit, gravity must pull it into a circular path.

LiqurC said:

I meant that gravity permeates the universe, and all mass possessing objects tug upon each other. The quote from Douglass Adams is humor.

ok... i see... But back to the mainpoint... AS phy6explorer and JimChampion had said. There is a heavy object in the middle acts as the central-force in which the orbits will follow. In another word, all those space-stations or any sort of objects are affected by our Earth's gravity. Is that right?

Also, there is another question - why is all the space-stations, planets rotating in an circular motion?.. as in they are spinning themselves 360 degress all the time when moving.

The Moon's orbit and the Earth's orbit intersect and these two intersecting points are known as North Node ( Rahu ) and the South Node ( Ketu ). These orbits differ by 8 degrees. They are mathematical points which influence human behaviour. That is all I know about orbit intersection. But when orbits intersect with each other, it has to do with gravity,right? (this seems to be a stupid question)

The planets actually rotate in an elliptical path around the sun (and the moons do the same around their planets).

It is best described by the Laws of Planetary Motion,

Kepler obtained Tycho Brahe's data after his death despite the attempts by Brahe's family to keep the data from him in the hope of monetary gain. There is some evidence that Kepler obtained the data by less than legal means; it is fortunate for the development of modern astronomy that he was successful. Utilizing the voluminous and precise data of Brahe, Kepler was eventually able to build on the realization that the orbits of the planets were ellipses to formulate his Three Laws of Planetary Motion.

Kepler's First Law:

I. The orbits of the planets are ellipses, with the Sun at one focus of the ellipse.

The Sun is not at the center of the ellipse, but is instead at one focus (generally there is nothing at the other focus of the ellipse). The planet then follows the ellipse in its orbit, which means that the Earth-Sun distance is constantly changing as the planet goes around its orbit. For purpose of illustration we have shown the orbit as rather eccentric; remember that the actual orbits are much less eccentric than this.

Kepler's Second Law:

II. The line joining the planet to the Sun sweeps out equal areas in equal times as the planet travels around the ellipse.

A line joining the Sun and planet sweeps out equal areas in equal times, so the planet moves faster when it is nearer the Sun. Thus, a planet executes elliptical motion with constantly changing angular speed as it moves about its orbit. The point of nearest approach of the planet to the Sun is termed perihelion; the point of greatest separation is termed aphelion. Hence, by Kepler's second law, the planet moves fastest when it is near perihelion and slowest when it is near aphelion.

Kepler's Third Law:

III. The ratio of the squares of the revolutionary periods for two planets is equal to the ratio of the cubes of their semi-major axes.

Kepler's Third Law implies that the period for a planet to orbit the Sun increases rapidly with the radius of its orbit. Thus, we find that Mercury, the innermost planet, takes only 88 days to orbit the Sun but the outermost planet (Pluto) requires 248 years to do the same.

I hope this explains everything!

Related to Gravity in Space: Exploring the Mysteries of Nature

What is gravity and how does it work in space?

Gravity is a fundamental force that exists between all objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for holding galaxies together. In space, gravity still works the same way as it does on Earth, but its effects may be different due to the absence of air resistance and other environmental factors.

Why is gravity important in understanding the mysteries of nature?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of the universe. It helps shape the structure of galaxies, determines the orbits of planets and moons, and influences the behavior of stars and other celestial bodies. Understanding gravity allows us to make predictions and explanations about the behavior of objects in space.

How does gravity affect time and space?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not just a force between objects, but also a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass. This means that gravity can affect the passage of time and the shape of space, leading to phenomena such as time dilation and gravitational lensing.

What are some of the current mysteries surrounding gravity in space?

One of the biggest mysteries is the discrepancy between the predicted and observed amount of dark matter in the universe. Dark matter is an invisible substance that is thought to make up a large portion of the mass in the universe. Additionally, scientists are still trying to understand the nature of gravity itself and how it fits into a unified theory with other fundamental forces.

What are some ongoing research and discoveries in the study of gravity in space?

Scientists are continuously studying gravity in space through various experiments and observations. Some current areas of research include studying the effects of gravity on black holes, investigating the behavior of gravity in extreme environments such as neutron stars, and searching for new ways to detect and measure gravitational waves. Recent discoveries, such as the detection of gravitational waves and the first image of a black hole, have also furthered our understanding of gravity in space.