Gravity, rotational speed. That kinda stuff.

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem that involves calculating velocity and acceleration using equations such as F=ma and Fg=6.67e-11((m1m2)/r^2). The person asking for help makes a mistake in their calculations and receives hints from others to guide them in the right direction. They express frustration with the process and the fact that they have to go to bed without finishing the problem. The conversation ends with a reminder to take hints seriously and to review notes in order to learn and improve problem-solving skills.
3dsmax

Homework Statement

It all on the picture provided.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fg=6.67e-11((m1m2)/r^2)
Other like basic rotational things not sure if i need them.

The Attempt at a Solution

All on the pic provided.

bigphysics.jpg

(WARNING TO DIAL-UPPERS) this is a link to a really larger version of it. http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/othellodude/bigphysics-1.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you have an error in calculation in the first part.
And 10^36 seconds! that is quite some time interval.

I know the time is off. Its weird cause i checked the top calculation 3 times cause it seemed to small. I figured it out now. * goes to see if that fixes every
thing else

<b>EDIT:</b>Dang I am so dumb. I just forgot the e22 at the end of my calculator screen.

Now for the second part I am getting 5.9 E-3 m/s. That can't be right. The world doesn't spin that slow around the sun. Does it?

3dsmax said:
Now for the second part I am getting 5.9 E-3 m/s. That can't be right. The world doesn't spin that slow around the sun. Does it?

You didn't calculate it quite right. Think centripetal acceleration.

its asking for velocity not acceleration.

And why does every time i post up a question on here no one comes out and tells me how to fix it. They take hours to reply and have me reply back. So i end up having to go to bed before i even figure the darn problem out. I know your trying to help me by not telling me the answers. But i can't learn if i don't even finish the problem which is probably what is going to happen to this problem again. Cause i have to go to bed soon and i doubt someone is going to show me what i did wrong. This is pointless.

Some of us have to sleep too, and work,and...
But to your problem. hage567 gave you a clue. Note that this planet is accelerating, I wonder what that quantity depends upon.

3dsmax said:
its asking for velocity not acceleration.

And why does every time i post up a question on here no one comes out and tells me how to fix it. They take hours to reply and have me reply back. So i end up having to go to bed before i even figure the darn problem out. I know your trying to help me by not telling me the answers. But i can't learn if i don't even finish the problem which is probably what is going to happen to this problem again. Cause i have to go to bed soon and i doubt someone is going to show me what i did wrong. This is pointless.

Look up what centripetal acceleration is. Did you even do that when I suggested using it? The hints are intended to point you in the right direction, you must take them seriously. If they don't make sense when you first see them, that means you need to go look at your notes and review the material. That's how you will learn to recognize it next time.
If you check your notes, you will see centripetal acceleration is related to velocity. You are dealing with a central force here, so you need to use it.
We are all busy with our daily lives, same as you. We offer help when we can.

Related to Gravity, rotational speed. That kinda stuff.

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for holding us on the surface of the Earth. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is caused by the curvature of space and time around massive objects.

2. How does rotational speed affect gravity?

Rotational speed does not directly affect the force of gravity between two objects. However, it can affect the shape of an object and its distance from the center of mass, which can indirectly affect the force of gravity. For example, objects that rotate faster tend to bulge at the equator, which can slightly decrease the force of gravity at that point.

3. Is there a limit to how fast an object can rotate?

Yes, there is a theoretical limit known as the 'mass-shedding limit' or the 'Kepler limit'. This limit is determined by the balance between the centrifugal force caused by the rotation and the gravitational force holding the object together. When an object rotates faster than this limit, it will start to distort and eventually break apart.

4. How does gravity affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity can affect the flow of time. The stronger the force of gravity, the slower time will pass. This has been proven through experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment, where atomic clocks on airplanes showed a slight difference in time compared to those on the ground due to the difference in gravitational pull.

5. Can we manipulate the force of gravity?

Currently, we do not have the technology to manipulate the force of gravity. However, there are ongoing research and experiments on technologies such as anti-gravity and gravitational waves that could potentially lead to the manipulation of gravity in the future. These technologies could have huge implications for space travel and exploration.