Gravity waves and Planck's constant

In summary, the energy of a gravitational wave can be related to Planck's constant in a quantum mechanical analysis, but not in general relativity. Planck's constant will only come into play when a successful theory of quantum gravity is developed. However, the question itself may not have a clear meaning or significance.
Leonard Begy
Can the energy of a gravitational wave be related to Plancks constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a quantum mechanical analysis the energy of everything is related to Planck's constant, so if we're doing a quantum mechanical analysis of gravitational waves Planck's constant would be involved.

However, gravitational waves are predicted by and analyzed using general relativity which is not a quantum-mechanical theory, so Planck's constant isn't involved. It wil only come in when we develop a successful theory of quantum gravity.

I don't think this question is clear. I think you have some idea in mind, but that's not what you wrote.

Planck's constant is a constant. You can always multiply or divide by a constant - just like the number 4. So while the answer to your question is formally "yes", I don't think there is any meaning to it.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara