Green's function for Poisson Equation

In summary, the two solutions for the Poisson equation hold for infinite domains only if you have no boundary conditions. If you do have boundary conditions, you want to use the Dirichlet Greens function.
bhatiaharsh
Hi,

I am working on finding a solution to Poisson equation through Green's function in both 2D and 3D. For the equation: [tex]\nabla^2 D = f[/tex], in 3D the solution is:
[tex]D(\mathbf x) = \frac{1}{4\pi} \int_V \frac{f(\mathbf x')}{|\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|} d\mathbf{x}'[/tex], and in 2D the solution is:
[tex]D(\mathbf x) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_V \log(|\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|) f(\mathbf x') d\mathbf{x}'[/tex].

Now, my question is that where these solutions hold true only for infinite domains?

If I have a small rectangular domain, can I still use these equations to solve the Poisson's equation without any boundary conditions ?

Can someone help me with this, or point me to a reference which I should read ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you should be able to use these even on a finite domain provided that you have no boundary conditions on that domain, yes. What this means is your solution will not be unique--you could add a Laplace equation solution to it (which corresponds to the effects of sources lying outside your finite domain) without loss of generality.

These are what you call "Free Space Greens Functions" and are valid for infinite domains.
If you have a region without any boundary conditions then obviously these will still hold.

However, if you do have Boundary Conditions, you want to construct Dirichlet Greens Functions which are of the form G = H + G_f
where H is a harmonic function (i.e. solves laplace's equation) and G_f is the Free Space Green's Function.
Solving these problems is usually done using the method of images.

Thanks for the pointers. If I understand right, and am not worried about a unique solution I should be able to use the integral solution of the equation. I tried a simple example in 1D and 3D, but the 3D example doesn't work out fine, and I am not sure what the problem is.

In either case, the source function [itex]f[/itex] does not decay (is constant). Could this be a problem ?

I am attaching my two examples:

Attachments

• greens.pdf
    100.5 KB · Views: 663
As someone said before, this is the free space Greens function and the Greens function is highly dependent upon the domain, you can perhaps use the method of images to obtain an answer if you want, but if it is a finite domain then I would investigate the use of a Fourier series for part of your solution.

Related to Green's function for Poisson Equation

1. What is a Green's function for the Poisson Equation?

A Green's function for the Poisson Equation is a mathematical tool used to solve a particular type of partial differential equation (PDE) known as the Poisson Equation. It represents the solution to the Poisson Equation for a point source at a given location.

2. How is a Green's function for the Poisson Equation used?

A Green's function for the Poisson Equation is used to solve boundary value problems in physics and engineering. It allows us to calculate the solution for a point source at a given location, which can then be used to solve more complex problems by superposition.

3. What properties does a Green's function for the Poisson Equation have?

A Green's function for the Poisson Equation must satisfy certain properties, such as being symmetric and having a singularity at the source location. It also needs to satisfy the Poisson Equation itself when convolved with the source function.

4. What are the advantages of using a Green's function for the Poisson Equation?

A Green's function for the Poisson Equation allows for a simple and elegant solution to boundary value problems. It also provides a general framework for solving more complex PDEs by using superposition and convolution techniques.

5. Can a Green's function for the Poisson Equation be used for other types of equations?

Yes, the concept of a Green's function can be extended to other types of equations, such as the wave equation and the heat equation. However, the specific properties and form of the Green's function will vary depending on the equation being solved.