Hall effect/force on current carrying wire

In summary, the metal strip moves with a constant velocity through a magnetic field. A potential difference of 3.9 microV is measured between points x and y across the strip.
Tanishq Nandan

Homework Statement

A metal strip 8.5cm long,0.65 cm wide,0.76 mm thick moves with constant velocity v through a uniform magnetic field B=0.2mT directed perpendicular to the strip,as shown in figure.A potential difference of 3.9 microV is measured between points x and y across the strip.Calculate the speed v.
20170630_225357-1.jpg

Homework Equations

●E=V/d,
where d is width of strip,V is potential difference(Hall potential) across that width(3.9microV,here) and E is the electric field inside that strip.
●n=Bi/Vet,
where
n=no of conduction electrons per unit volume of strip
B=magnitude of magnetic field
i=current flowing through that strip
V=Hall potential,described in previous formula
e=charge on electron
t=thickness of strip(0.76 mm here)
●Basic theory of Hall effect:On applying a magnetic field perpendicular to the strip,some electrons get accumulated at one side of the strip due to the magnetic force acting on them,which after a while causes an electric field to be produced inside the strip across it's width,which opposes and finally cancels the effect of the magnetic field,thus allowing current(which is nothing but charged particles) to flow through the strip unhindered.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how the entire strip is moving.
Hall effect is about the two fields (electric and magnetic) cancelling out each other.but how can the entire strip move with a constant velocity.
Things i feel we may need to do:
Find n (2nd formula above) to get total no of conduction electrons,and find total force due to each of them due to the magnetic as well as electric field,but then there are several problems,
1.we don't know current (i in the formula)
2.what to do with the electrons which are accumulated on eithe side on the strip,responsible for the electric field being created,is the force on them just magnetic or electric as well??
So, I am not able to grasp what exactly happens to make the entire strip move.
(there is also the formula of F=BIL but I didn't mention it because again,we don't know current)

Physics news on Phys.org
The situation in this problem is not the same as the situation for the Hall effect. In this problem, there is no electric current being driven along the length of the strip and the strip is moving through the B field. In the Hall effect, you have the opposite: there is an electric current and the strip is not moving through the B field.

You do not need to be familiar with the Hall effect to answer this question.

The strip is a metal. Think about what the magnetic field does to the free charge carriers in the metal.

TSny said:
You do not need to be familiar with the Hall effect to answer this question.
Okk..
TSny said:
Think about what the magnetic field does to the free charge carriers in the metal.
The B field exerts a force on the electrons causing them to move towards the "y" side of the strip,which I believe is the reason for the difference in potential between x and y,but then how does all this make the entire strip move FORWARD??

The motion of the strip is not due to the magnetic field. The question wants you to assume that the strip is moving with constant velocity. The motion of the strip could be due to some external agent (although once the strip is moving with constant speed, a force would not be required to keep it moving). So, don't worry about why the strip is moving.

Tanishq Nandan said:
The B field exerts a force on the electrons causing them to move towards the "y" side of the strip,which I believe is the reason for the difference in potential between x and y
Yes.

Well,then if I can't use any of the formulae I mentioned above,or Hall effect,which one should I use to find the velocity?
F=BIL??
But,we still need the current for that..

When the strip first starts moving with speed v, electrons move toward the right side and a potential difference develops between the left and right sides. Does this potential difference continue to increase as long as the strip is moving at constant speed, or does the potential difference attain a constant value?

What prevents the potential difference from continually increasing?

It attains a constant value(enough to create an electric field which cancels the magnetic field).

It attains a constant value(enough to create an electric field which cancels the magnetic field).

The electric field doesn't cancel the magnetic field. But the electric force cancels the magnetic force. Use this to determine the electric field.

Likes Tanishq Nandan
Of course!
E=V/d
qE=Bqv
q gets cancelled..E can be determined,B is known,you got v.
Thanks..

Yes, very good.

Related to Hall effect/force on current carrying wire

What is the Hall effect?

The Hall effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field applied perpendicular to a current-carrying conductor causes a voltage difference across the conductor. This voltage difference is known as the Hall voltage.

How does the Hall effect work?

When a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to a current-carrying wire, the free electrons in the wire experience a force called the Lorentz force. This force causes the electrons to accumulate on one side of the wire, creating a potential difference across the wire known as the Hall voltage.

What is the Hall coefficient?

The Hall coefficient is a material property that describes the relationship between the induced Hall voltage and the applied magnetic field and current. It is defined as the ratio of the Hall voltage to the product of the magnetic field and current.

What are the applications of the Hall effect?

The Hall effect has a wide range of applications, including measuring the strength and direction of magnetic fields, sensing the position and speed of rotating objects, and detecting the presence of ferromagnetic materials. It is also used in devices such as Hall effect sensors, Hall probes, and Hall effect thrusters.

What factors affect the Hall effect?

The Hall effect is affected by factors such as the strength and direction of the applied magnetic field, the current flowing through the wire, the type and properties of the material, and the temperature of the material. Additionally, the geometry of the wire and the presence of impurities can also influence the Hall effect.