Have an any idea about hoist used in crane?

In summary: If the power goes out, the brake will hold the weight. In summary, a crane motor needs to have a power rating, a speed-torque curve, and a list of motors available. The motor should be selected based on the cheapest, most efficient, and least complicated power source.
chintras
i am working on a project of 450t eot crane project for final year.
want detail on hoists and motor used for hoist.
how i choose it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no experience with hoists but this is what my first thoughts are:

Figure out the power you need. Decide how fast do you want the hoist to go up and how heavy a nominal load will be (450 tons?). Calculate the power needed to achieve this. Increase that number by a safety margin of 30%*. This is the minimal power rating that you need from a motor. Make a list of motors available for that rating.

When you find some suitable motors, look at their speed-torque curves. Design a block and tackle so that the motor can run at it's normal operating speed while providing the necessary torque. Repeat that for a few more motors and decide what you think will work best.

Here are some criteria that can help you decide: Which is cheapest? Does the motor require a complicated power source or starter? How much load, above your design specs, can the motor handle before it stalls? Efficiency rating.

*It is a standard practice in engineering to use safety margins. You don't want a device to work on the razor's edge of failure or success.

I agree. But a gearbox may be better than a block and tackle - there are more ratios available that way.

Hoists almost always have a series wound field. I believe hoists are tested to at least 150% percent of rated load. (I was at a nuclear power plant outside of Pasco, WA where they were load testing a 200 ton crane using bags of concrete. They hauled in bags by the truckload for 2 1/2 days before they had 300 tons worth.)

In my experience the larger cranes all use DC motors. Hoists typically have 3 or 5 speeds which are accomplished by switching in and out large resistor banks. High speed is almost always used for regular hoisting and the lower speeds mainly for setting things down or positioning.

It would be good to actually see and inspect a large crane before you get too far along in your project.

chintras said:
i am working on a project of 450t eot crane project for final year.
want detail on hoists and motor used for hoist.
how i choose it?
What's Eot??

The crane motor may need a magnetic brake, so there is no creep (load slowly moving downward) when the crane hoist is turned off, or there is a power failure.

Bob S

Su Solberg said:
What's Eot??

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_EOT_Crane"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoists have a drum with brake shoes for brakes. The brakes are released with the same current that powers the motor.

Related to Have an any idea about hoist used in crane?

1. What is a hoist used for in a crane?

A hoist is a mechanical device that is used to lift and move heavy objects vertically. In a crane, a hoist is attached to the boom and is responsible for lifting and lowering the load.

2. How does a hoist work in a crane?

The hoist in a crane works by using a motor to turn a drum or pulley system. As the drum or pulley rotates, it raises or lowers the load attached to the hoist. The hoist also has a braking system to control the speed and prevent the load from dropping too quickly.

3. What are the different types of hoists used in cranes?

There are several types of hoists used in cranes, including wire rope hoists, chain hoists, and electric hoists. Wire rope hoists use a wire rope to lift the load, while chain hoists use a chain. Electric hoists use an electric motor to power the hoist.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a hoist for a crane?

When choosing a hoist for a crane, some important factors to consider include the weight and size of the load, the lifting height needed, and the environment in which the hoist will be used. It's also important to consider the safety features and maintenance requirements of the hoist.

5. How do you maintain a hoist used in a crane?

To maintain a hoist used in a crane, regular inspections should be conducted to check for any wear and tear or potential issues. The hoist should also be cleaned and lubricated regularly to ensure smooth operation. It's important to follow the manufacturer's maintenance guidelines and have any necessary repairs done by a trained professional.