Having trouble rearranging this RC circuit

In summary, the switch S is closed for a long time, causing the electric circuit to carry a constant current. The power delivered to R2 is 2.30 W. Using the equations P=IV and V=IR, the voltage drop across R2 is determined to be 126.89V. Since the capacitors are fully charged, they act as infinite resistors, making R1 and R2 in series. Using V=IR, the voltage of the battery is found to be 199.39V. When S is opened, no current flows in the capacitors and all the current flows in the resistors. Therefore, the charge on C1 remains the same, while the charge on C2 decreases.
horsedeg

Homework Statement

Switch S shown in the figure below has been closed for a long time, and the electric circuit carries a constant current. Take
C1 = 3.00 μF

C2 = 6.00 μF,

R1 = 4.00 kΩ,
and
R2 = 7.00 kΩ.
The power delivered to R2 is 2.30 W.
28-p-071.gif

(a) Find the charge on C1.
(b) Now the switch is opened. After many milliseconds, by how much has the charge on C2 changed?

Homework Equations

P=IV
V=IR
Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the charge on C1 I would use Q=CV, but first I would need to find the voltage or substitute one of the other equations.

I looked at the solution, and it gives me this image (different values):
upload_2016-11-30_19-20-32.png

I have no idea why it can be rearranged like this, since even the capacitors/resistors change places.

My first plan was using the fact that R2 is given power of 2.30W, so then I would use P=IV and V=IR to get P=I2R. Solve for I and I get the current there. However, according to the solution it determines the current of the whole thing. I don't see how that's possible from either arrangement.

Physics news on Phys.org
horsedeg said:
I have no idea why it can be rearranged like this, since even the capacitors/resistors change places.
Parallel components don't care who's on the left or who's on the right. They can be swapped if it's going to make things a little clearer to readers. :smile:

⏩Once you have determined the voltage or current for one resistor, you know everything about all the other components here. So what is the voltage across R2?

I don't feel comfortable enough with the math to help there, but I wanted to respond to your comment "I have no idea why it can be rearranged like this, since even the capacitors/resistors change places."

In both diagrams, the block of C1 and R1 is in series with the block of C2 and R2. C1 is in parallel with R1, and C2 is in parallel with R2. In both, current can travel down C1 or R1, then to C2 or R2. It's the same circuit.

NascentOxygen said:
Parallel components don't care who's on the left or who's on the right. They can be swapped if it's going to make things a little clearer to readers. :smile:

⏩Once you have determined the voltage or current for one resistor, you know everything about all the other components here. So what is the voltage across R2?
P=IV, so solving for voltage V=P/I. We don't know what I is, so we plug in V=IR, or I=V/R. Then we get V2=PR2. Plugging in the values, we get that the voltage drop across R2 is 126.89V.

So from then we could easily find the current at that place, but that would only be that part of the current, wouldn't it?

EDIT: I'm stupid. I forgot that it's been on for a long time so that the capacitors are fully charged. Right? So then they act as infinite resistors, meaning R1 and R2 are in series. So then I can use V=IR to find the current by plugging in both V and R with what I had before. Then, because that's the total current at that moment, I can use V=IR1 to find the voltage across the top two devices. Then I can use Q=CV and solve for Q on the capacitor because it's parallel and has the same voltage.

I guess I could also use this info to determine the voltage of the battery with the two resistors in series using V=IR, meaning Voltage of the battery is 199.39V. So then the voltage across each parallel combination of capacitor & resistor would have an overall drop of 199.39V.

Last edited:
horsedeg said:
it's been on for a long time so that the capacitors are fully charged. Right? So then they act as infinite resistors, meaning R1 and R2 are in series.
Right. The capacitors are charged and no longer drawing current, so in the steady state all current flow is in the resistors.

For (b), can you explain in words what happens when S is later opened?

NascentOxygen said:
Right. The capacitors are charged and no longer drawing current, so in the steady state all current flow is in the resistors.
Okay, I definitely get this one now easily. Thanks.

Related to Having trouble rearranging this RC circuit

1. Why is it important to be able to rearrange an RC circuit?

Being able to rearrange an RC circuit allows you to understand the relationship between the resistance, capacitance, and voltage in the circuit. This can help you troubleshoot any issues, design more efficient circuits, and predict the behavior of the circuit.

2. What are the steps for rearranging an RC circuit?

The steps for rearranging an RC circuit depend on the specific circuit and the goal of the rearrangement. Generally, you will need to use Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws to determine the values of the resistance, capacitance, and voltage in the circuit. Then, you can rearrange the components to achieve the desired goal.

3. What are some common mistakes when rearranging an RC circuit?

Some common mistakes when rearranging an RC circuit include incorrect calculations, misinterpreting the circuit diagram, and forgetting to account for the effects of other components in the circuit. It is important to double-check all calculations and carefully analyze the circuit before making any changes.

4. How does the rearrangement of an RC circuit affect its performance?

Rearranging an RC circuit can have a significant impact on its performance. For example, changing the resistance or capacitance values can affect the time constant and charging/discharging behavior of the circuit. Additionally, changing the arrangement of components can alter the overall impedance and frequency response of the circuit.

5. Are there any tools or software that can assist with rearranging an RC circuit?

Yes, there are several tools and software programs that can assist with rearranging an RC circuit. These include circuit simulators, such as LTSpice or CircuitLab, which allow you to simulate and analyze the circuit before physically rearranging it. There are also online calculators and apps that can help with calculations and circuit analysis.