Heat and temperature change in liquid

In summary: C that will result in a final temperature of 50 deg C for the mixture.In summary, to find the mass of portion C that will result in a final temperature of 50.0 °C for the mixture, use the equation Q = cm (Tf - T0), where Q represents heat, c represents specific heat, m represents mass, and Tf and T0 represent final and initial temperatures, respectively. Rearrange the equation to solve for mC and find the mass of portion C.
darw

Homework Statement

Three portions of the same liquid are mixed in a container that prevents the exchange of heat with the environment. Portion A has a mass m and a temperature of 94.0 °C, portion B also has a mass m but a temperature of 78.0 °C, and portion C has a mass mC and a temperature of 34.0 °C. What must be the mass of portion C so that the final temperature Tf of the three-portion mixture is Tf = 50.0 °C? Express your answer in terms of m; for example, mc = 2.20 m.

Homework Equations

C= (m(Tf-T0))/ Q

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to fill in the equation for specific heat for each portion and set them equal to each other, because they are the same liquid/same value for C. This just started me going around in circles; I'm clearly going about this the wrong way.

Could anyone provide some guidance to get me started on the right track? Thanks so much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, typo.

for the equation I meant: Q = cm (Tf- T0)

The heat lost by portion A plus the heat lost by portion B equals the heat gained by portion C if the final temperature is 50 deg C

Write this down as an equation in terms of m, c and the change in temperature for each portion. Rearrange/solve for mC

Related to Heat and temperature change in liquid

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

How does heat affect the temperature of a liquid?

Adding heat to a liquid causes the particles to gain more kinetic energy, resulting in an increase in temperature. Similarly, removing heat from a liquid causes the particles to lose kinetic energy, leading to a decrease in temperature.

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of how well a substance can store heat.

Why does the temperature of a liquid change during a phase change?

During a phase change, such as melting or boiling, the temperature of a liquid remains constant even though heat is being added or removed. This is because the heat energy is being used to break the bonds between particles, rather than increasing their kinetic energy.

How does pressure affect the temperature of a liquid?

Increasing the pressure on a liquid can cause its temperature to increase, as the particles are forced closer together and have more collisions, resulting in an increase in kinetic energy. On the other hand, decreasing the pressure can lead to a decrease in temperature.