Heat at plug end of power cord higher than rest of cord

In summary, the plug end of the cord on the vacuum cleaner gets warmer than the rest of the cord, regardless of the wall socket used. This could be due to a bad connection between the vacuum and the plug, causing high resistance and heating up as the vacuum draws current. This is a common problem in industrial settings and can be detected using IR cameras. The cord does not appear to be damaged, but the issue may be at the plug end, leading the speaker to replace the plug. It is common for high power appliances to have increased resistance at the plug and socket.
FactChecker
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2023 Award
In running my vacuum cleaner, I have noticed that the plug end of the cord gets warmer than the rest of the cord. Since the wire gauge and current must be the same through the entire length, why would this happen? I have noticed this regardless of the wall socket that I use and it doesn't seem like the wall socket gets hot. Does it imply that the vacuum cleaner cord is defective at the plug end? Perhaps I should test if it still happens when a heavy gauge extension is used and see if any part warms up.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does the plug itself get hot?

CWatters said:
Does the plug itself get hot?
Not that I can tell. It just seems to be the first foot or so of cord. But the plug plastic is thicker, so that might hide heating there. I tested it in a large capacity extension cord and it warms up at the vacuum plug end, not at the wall socket. I can only think of one possible reason: a bad cord at that end. I will see if I can notice that behavior in other high watt appliance cords.

Last edited:
If there is a bad connection between the vacuum and the plug there will be some resistance there. The high resistance of the connection will heat up as the vacuum cleaner draws current. You could have something as low as a 1 Ohm connection and this would be a problem. If your vacuum cleaner draws about five amps then you would essentially have a 25 Watt heater in the cord. There would only be a 5 Volt drop so your vacuum would still operate.

This is a common enough problem that there is an entire industry dedicated to using IR cameras to find bad connections in industrial settings. The idea is to catch problems by looking for high heat in equipment. That way you can repair it before it fails.

Does the cord look like it was pinched or severely bent anywhere? Your cord should be made of braided wire. It might be hanging by a thread inside the insulation.

Likes anorlunda and FactChecker
Aaron Crowl said:
If there is a bad connection between the vacuum and the plug there will be some resistance there. The high resistance of the connection will heat up as the vacuum cleaner draws current. You could have something as low as a 1 Ohm connection and this would be a problem.
This confirms my suspicion that there must be a problem at that end of the cord. I was wondering if I might be overlooking something about heating in a good cord, but I guess not.
This is a common enough problem that there is an entire industry dedicated to using IR cameras to find bad connections in industrial settings. The idea is to catch problems by looking for high heat in equipment. That way you can repair it before it fails.
Interesting.
Does the cord look like it was pinched or severely bent anywhere? Your cord should be made of braided wire. It might be hanging by a thread inside the insulation.
No. It looks fine. But I am going to assume that there is something wrong at the plug end, cut off that end, and replace the plug.
Thanks.

It depends on how warm. Connections are never 100% perfect and will always heat depending upon how much current is passing.

Likes FactChecker
This is something I have noticed on most high power appliances. I just assumed that it was the contact resistance between the plug and socket. Also many cords are crimped inside. They will also have an increased resistance at that point.

BoB

Likes dlgoff, jim hardy, berkeman and 1 other person

Related to Heat at plug end of power cord higher than rest of cord

1. Why is the heat at the plug end of my power cord higher than the rest of the cord?

This is a common question because many people may notice that the plug end of their power cord feels warmer than the rest of the cord. This is because the plug end is where the electricity enters the cord and begins to flow through it. As the electricity flows, it encounters resistance, which causes it to generate heat. This heat is then dissipated throughout the cord, but it may be more noticeable at the plug end because it is the point of entry.

2. Is it normal for the plug end of a power cord to feel warm?

Generally, yes. As mentioned before, the heat at the plug end is a result of the electricity flowing through the cord and encountering resistance. As long as the cord is not excessively hot or burning, it is likely functioning as it should. However, if you are concerned, it is always best to consult the manufacturer or have a professional check it out.

3. How can I tell if the heat at the plug end of my power cord is dangerous?

If the heat at the plug end of your power cord is causing the plastic casing to melt or become discolored, this could be a sign of a dangerous electrical issue. Additionally, if the heat is accompanied by a burning smell or sparks, it is important to stop using the cord immediately and have it professionally inspected.

4. Can I prevent the plug end of my power cord from getting too hot?

While some heat at the plug end of a power cord is normal, excessive heat can be a sign of an underlying issue. To prevent this, make sure to use the appropriate wattage for your electrical device and do not overload your power cord. Additionally, regularly inspect your power cord for any signs of wear and tear, and replace it if necessary.

5. Is there a risk of fire from the heat at the plug end of a power cord?

In most cases, no. As long as the cord is functioning properly and not showing any concerning signs such as melting or sparks, the heat is likely just a normal occurrence. However, if you have any concerns or notice any unusual heat, it is always best to err on the side of caution and have a professional inspect the cord.