Heat Pipes in nuclear reactors

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of heat pipes in nuclear reactors for heat removal. The concept of heat pipes is explained, and examples of their use in the SP-100 reactor are provided. Links and resources for further information are also shared. Some participants express their lack of knowledge or experience with heat pipes in nuclear reactors.
bksree
Are there any reactors which employ heat pipes for heat removal ? If so can you send me links / details of published lit.

TIA

Engineering news on Phys.org
bksree said:
Are there any reactors which employ heat pipes for heat removal ? If so can you send me links / details of published lit.

TIA

Not sure what you mean by "heat pipes." During operation plants can usually be lumped into two major categories: Once thru cooling and those with cooling towers. Plants near the sea or large lakes or rivers may use once thru cooling takind water from the water source running it once through the condenser to remove heat from exhaust steam and then back to the water source. A plant with cooling towers takes water from the source and runs it through the condenser then out to a cooling tower where it is sprayed over a structure allowing the heat to be released as steam vapor to the air. More water is taken from the water source and mixed with the water that didn't vaporize. This is then pumped back to the condenser. Cooling towers or cooling ponds reduce the heat added to smaller bodies of water which can be significant in a once thru design.

This circulating water is pumped to and from the condenser in pipes or large concrete channels. Is that what you are looking for?

'Passive cooling' features in modern BWR designs work by same principle as heat pipe. Water boils off in core, goes into huge condenser (air cooled for example), condenses here, and flows back into core by gravity.

I'm also not sure what the op is talking about.

The only time I've encountered a "heat-pipe" is when looking at CPU cooling units for my computer. That is what they call the thick copper on the heat sink used to transport heat by conduction to the cooling fins.

I've never heard of any such design for a nuclear reactor. Most metals would melt at too low of a temperature and/or capture too many neutrons.

Hologram0110 said:
I'm also not sure what the op is talking about.

The only time I've encountered a "heat-pipe" is when looking at CPU cooling units for my computer. That is what they call the thick copper on the heat sink used to transport heat by conduction to the cooling fins.

I've never heard of any such design for a nuclear reactor. Most metals would melt at too low of a temperature and/or capture too many neutrons.

the thick copper tube has a liquid and its vapour inside, so that the liquid would boil on the hot side, and condense on the cold side, and flow back to the hot side (by gravity or capillary action). If I ever build me a water cooled PC, that's how it'd work. I'd use condenser from old fridge.

Related to Heat Pipes in nuclear reactors

What is a heat pipe and how does it work in nuclear reactors?

A heat pipe is a highly efficient heat transfer device that is used to transfer heat from one location to another. In nuclear reactors, heat pipes are typically used to remove excess heat from the reactor core and transfer it to the secondary cooling system. They work by using a combination of evaporation and condensation to transfer heat from one end of the pipe to the other.

What are the advantages of using heat pipes in nuclear reactors?

There are several advantages to using heat pipes in nuclear reactors. They are highly efficient, have no moving parts, and can operate in both horizontal and vertical orientations. They can also handle high heat fluxes and have a very small footprint, making them ideal for use in compact nuclear reactor designs.

What are the limitations of using heat pipes in nuclear reactors?

While heat pipes have many advantages, there are also some limitations to their use in nuclear reactors. They are sensitive to temperature gradients and can experience performance degradation if the temperature difference between the hot and cold ends of the pipe is too large. They also require a small amount of maintenance to ensure proper functioning.

How are heat pipes designed and manufactured for use in nuclear reactors?

The design and manufacturing of heat pipes for nuclear reactors requires careful consideration of the operating conditions and materials used. The heat pipe must be able to withstand high temperatures and radiation levels, as well as have good thermal conductivity. The materials used must also be compatible with the nuclear fuel and coolant being used in the reactor.

What are some current research and developments in the use of heat pipes in nuclear reactors?

There is ongoing research and development in the use of heat pipes in nuclear reactors, with a focus on improving their performance and reliability. Some areas of research include using new materials and coatings, optimizing the design for specific reactor types, and developing advanced monitoring and control systems. There is also research being done on using heat pipes in advanced nuclear reactor designs, such as small modular reactors and molten salt reactors.