Heisenbergs uncertainity principle for an electron

In summary, the given problem asks for the size of the smallest region of space in which an electron can be confined, given its measured speed uncertainty of 2e4 m/s. Using Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, the equation ΔxΔp ≥ h/2 is used, where h is the Dirac constant and p=mv. After solving for Δx, the solution obtained is 5.78 nm, which is very close to the given correct answer of 5.8 nm. The slight discrepancy in the answers may be due to rounding errors in calculations.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

The speed of an electron is measured to within an uncertainty of 2e4 m/s. What is the size of the smallest region of space in which the electron can be confined?

Homework Equations

Diracs Constant=ΔxΔp
p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

what I did was (Diracs Constant)/mv = Δx, (1.054560653e-34)/((9.109e-31)(2e4))=6nm this is this incorrect but I don't understand why?

Physics news on Phys.org
DODGEVIPER13 said:

Homework Statement

The speed of an electron is measured to within an uncertainty of 2e4 m/s. What is the size of the smallest region of space in which the electron can be confined?

Homework Equations

Diracs Constant=ΔxΔp
p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

what I did was (Diracs Constant)/mv = Δx, (1.054560653e-34)/((9.109e-31)(2e4))=6nm this is this incorrect but I don't understand why?
Hi,
I am not sure, I may be wrong.
Use Heisenberg uncertainty principle:
[tex]\Delta x \Delta p ≥ \hbar/2.
[/tex]
The given value is not the speed of electron. It is the uncertainty of speed.
Got it?

Hi. Not value but only order of value has meaning in this situation. Order of nano meter seems fine. What is the 'correct' answer you have got?

Sweet springs the correct answer is 5.8nm what I get is 6nm I know it's so close but it's not what I'm getting. Rajini given the uncertainty of speed how then would I find speed go the electron so I can find p.

Ok I'm starting to think I got the right answer after using wolfram I get 5.78 I am starting to think my calculator has some kind of rounding algorithm

Related to Heisenbergs uncertainity principle for an electron

1. What is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle for an electron?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of an electron simultaneously.

2. How does Heisenberg's uncertainty principle relate to the wave-particle duality of electrons?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a manifestation of the wave-particle duality of electrons. It suggests that an electron can behave as both a particle and a wave and that the more precisely we know one aspect (position or momentum), the less precisely we can know the other.

3. Can Heisenberg's uncertainty principle be violated?

No, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been supported by numerous experiments. It is a fundamental limit to our ability to measure the properties of particles.

4. How does Heisenberg's uncertainty principle impact our everyday lives?

While Heisenberg's uncertainty principle may seem abstract and unrelated to our daily lives, it has significant impacts on technology and modern advancements. It is the basis for technologies such as MRI and electron microscopes, which have revolutionized medical imaging and scientific research.

5. Is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle only applicable to electrons?

No, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle applies to all particles in the quantum world, not just electrons. It also applies to atoms, molecules, and larger systems. However, its effects are more noticeable on smaller particles such as electrons due to their wave-like nature.