Helium Wavefunction: Exploring 9 Coordinates & Time

In summary, the wavefunction of Helium has 9 coordinates and time, which is more than what would be expected for a two-electron system. This is due to the fact that the wave function is used to describe the movement of electrons around the nucleus of an atom, and the assumption that the nucleus is stationary is no longer valid for multi-electron systems. However, a good approximation can still be achieved by assuming that the nucleus does not move, with a small error.
sidnake
I'm doing about wavefunctions for my course, I'm a bit confused as to why the wavefunction of Helium has 9 coordinates and time and not 6 coordinates and time. As far as I was aware the wave function was used to describe the movement of electrons around the nucleus of an atom, and it was assumed the nucleus was stationary due to the high speed of the electrons. If the electrons can move in three dimensions, X,Y and Z then there should be three coordinates for one electron. Helium has two electrons so there should be 6 coordinates. Why is it that the wavefunction of Helium actually has 9 coordinates? Do you infact need to include coordinates of the nucleus? If anyone knows where I'm going wrong, please point it out to me.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
As far as I was aware the wave function was used to describe the movement of electrons around the nucleus of an atom, and it was assumed the nucleus was stationary due to the high speed of the electrons.
For hydrogen, you don't need that assumption: You can separate the problem into a motion of the center of mass (and ignore this) and a relative motion between nucleus and electron - similar to the Kepler problem in classical physics. With 2 electrons, this is no longer possible. I would expect a good approximation with the assumption that the nucleus does not move (with an error of ##\frac{m_e}{m_\alpha} \approx 0.01\%##), however.

Related to Helium Wavefunction: Exploring 9 Coordinates & Time

1. What is a helium wavefunction?

A helium wavefunction is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a helium atom. It describes the probability of finding each electron in a specific location around the nucleus.

2. How many coordinates are involved in a helium wavefunction?

A helium wavefunction involves 9 coordinates: 3 for each electron (x, y, z) and 3 for the nucleus (X, Y, Z).

3. What is the significance of exploring 9 coordinates in a helium wavefunction?

Exploring 9 coordinates allows us to fully understand the quantum state of a helium atom and predict its behavior. The coordinates represent the positions and movements of the electrons and nucleus, which are crucial in understanding atomic interactions.

4. How does time factor into the helium wavefunction?

Time is a crucial component of the helium wavefunction as it allows us to track the changes in the quantum state of the atom over time. This is important in understanding how the atom will behave and interact with other atoms.

5. What are the applications of studying the helium wavefunction?

Studying the helium wavefunction has many practical applications, such as in developing new technologies like quantum computers and in understanding chemical reactions and properties of materials. It also helps us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.