Hello Art student interested in science

• Thread starter Isopod
  • Start date
In summary, the main branches of science are biology, chemistry, physics, earth science, and astronomy, with each focusing on different aspects of the natural world. Art and science can intersect through the use of scientific concepts in art and the use of art to communicate scientific findings. Common misconceptions about science include the idea that it is a fixed body of knowledge, only for "geniuses," and always objective and unbiased. Incorporating creativity into scientific work can involve exploring new ideas and collaborating with non-scientists. Some career options for individuals interested in both art and science include scientific illustration, medical animation, science communication, museum curation, and research on the intersection of art and science.
Isopod
How did you find PF?
Google search
Hi,

I'm an Fine Art student at university but I have also always been interested in science. Sometimes, I combine science & art together in my artistic practice and in my next upcoming project, I'm working on creating a robot arm sculpture and doing some ecosphere experiments. I thought it would be good to start getting more in the way of science advice (especially for my ecosphere ideas), so here I am.

Nice to meet you all and looking forward to learning from you ^_^ !

Isopod~

Likes berkeman and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome.
Nice name.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 7.52.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 7.52.52 PM.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 8
Hi BillTre, nice to meet you! I like the fish fry in your avatar, is it a Zebra Fish fry?

Close, it's a fry of a zebrafish relative, Danio assamensis.
Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.01.44 PM.png

Very similar just a bit larger at this age.

BillTre said:
Close, it's a fry of a zebrafish relative, Danio assamensis.

Ah-ha, I thought it looked familiar.
(I actually once used to keep Pearl Danios as pets and one time they spawned and made a lot of fry which looked similar)

Why the fish fry in your avatar- do you just like fish?

Yes, I like fish, but I used to work on zebrafish, among other fish, for many years in labs.

BillTre said:
Yes, I like fish, but I used to work on zebrafish, among other fish, for many years in labs.
Oh that's cool, what did you study through the Zebrafish?

Mostly development, genetics, some physiology.
Also worked out a lot large scale of husbandry techniques.

BillTre said:
Mostly development, genetics, some physiology.
Also worked out a lot large scale of husbandry techniques.

What do you mean by large scale of husbandry techniques? Like how to look after certain animals on a large scale?

I chose the name Isopod because I'm doing an art project that (amongst other things) will involve a robot arm sculpture and a bunch of ecospheres. I really like looking at small lifeforms in aquatic ecosystems like this:

edit: BTW, if you can recommend me a microscope to buy, I'd really appreciate it https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-money-and-takes-photos.1013632/#post-6614620

Related to Hello Art student interested in science

1. What are the main branches of science?

The main branches of science are biology, chemistry, physics, earth science, and astronomy. Each branch focuses on different aspects of the natural world and uses different methods to study and understand them.

2. How can art and science intersect?

Art and science can intersect in many ways. For example, artists can use scientific concepts and data to create visually striking and informative pieces. Scientists can also use art to communicate their research findings to a wider audience.

3. What are some common misconceptions about science?

Some common misconceptions about science include the idea that it is a fixed body of knowledge, that it is only for "geniuses," and that it is always objective and unbiased. In reality, science is a constantly evolving process, anyone can participate in it, and it is influenced by societal and cultural factors.

4. How can I incorporate creativity into my scientific work?

Creativity is an important aspect of scientific work. One way to incorporate it is by thinking outside the box and exploring new ideas and approaches. Collaborating with artists and other non-scientists can also bring new perspectives and creativity to your work.

5. What are some career options for someone interested in both art and science?

There are many career options for individuals interested in both art and science. Some examples include scientific illustration, medical animation, science communication, and museum curation. You can also pursue a career in research that combines both art and science, such as studying the intersection of neuroscience and art.