Hello, Physics Forums So happy to have found you

• Thread starter Kate_C
  • Start date
In summary, Physics Forums is an online community where scientists, students, and enthusiasts can discuss and learn about various topics in physics. To join, one must create an account on their website using a valid email address. The topics covered on Physics Forums include classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, relativity, astrophysics, and more, with sub-forums for specific fields. It is also possible to ask for help on the forum, as the community is known for being helpful and knowledgeable. However, there are rules in place to ensure a respectful and productive environment, including being civil and avoiding plagiarism.
Kate_C
How did you find PF?
Online search
Hi everyone,

New member here. Just want to say hello and that I'm excited to be a part of the community! Passionate about quantum physics and looking to expand my knowledge & understanding.

-kate

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Kate. You look to be a very accomplished musician. Can you link to your favorite song that you've performed? If you'd rather not, that's okay. :smile:

Likes Kate_C
Thank you for the warm welcome, berkeman! Thoughtful of you to ask about the music. Here's a link to one of the songs:

[Link updated by berkeman]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes etotheipi and PeroK
Kate_C said:
Thank you for the warm welcomee, berkeman! Thoughtful of you to ask about the music. Here's a link to one of the songs:

[Link updated by berkeman]

Beautiful. Thank you. :smile:

BTW, I updated the link to the video -- for some reason it didn't link correctly. No big deal.

How did you end up with such diverse interests in music and physics? Your first technical post here is quite a good question:

Kate_C said:
Summary:: Would it be theoretically possible to have a planet in a binary star system where there is a daily "pre-sunrise" and a "pre (or post) sunset" due to the dimmer star?

From what I gather, there are S-type, P-type & T-type systems, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the orbital possibilities. Would it be theoretically possible to have a planet in a binary star system where there is a daily "pre-sunrise" and a "pre (or post) sunset" due to the dimmer star? And could there be daily syzygy with the stars or might it need to be less frequent? If anyone can advise, it would be so appreciated! Thank you!

Likes Kate_C
Thank you so much for the kind feedback! Nice of you to fix the link :)

I've been fascinated with quantum mechanics for decades and I just finished the first draft of a sci-fi novel that takes place in a binary star system. Trying to make sure I have my facts straight before handing over to agent and going around in circles with the orbital patterns lol

Likes berkeman
Welcome to PF!

Your music is very nice.

Have you read Susskind's Theoretical Minimum book on QM? It strives to teach QM to folks like you who've always wanted to learn it in greater depth than a pop sci article or book on it.

He has online lectures you can follow too just search on Susskind and Theoretical Minimum. The math used is minimal mostly Calculus where he explains what's going on too.

Thank you, jedishrfu! Awesome! I have not read Susskind--excited to check that out! I really appreciate the rec!
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Your music is very nice.

Have you read Susskind's Theoretical Minimum book on QM? It strives to teach QM to folks like you who've always wanted to learn it in greater depth than a pop sci article or book on it.

He has online lectures you can follow too just search on Susskind and Theoretical Minimum. The math used is minimal mostly Calculus where he explains what's going on too.

Likes berkeman
Kate_C said:
and going around in circles with the orbital patterns

Very punny...

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Kate_C and berkeman

Related to Hello, Physics Forums So happy to have found you

What is Physics Forums?

Physics Forums is an online community for scientists, students, and enthusiasts to discuss and learn about various topics in physics.

How can I join Physics Forums?

You can join Physics Forums by creating an account on their website. It is free and only requires a valid email address.

What kind of topics are discussed on Physics Forums?

Physics Forums covers a wide range of topics in physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, relativity, astrophysics, and more. There are also sub-forums for specific fields such as particle physics and thermodynamics.

Can I ask for help on Physics Forums?

Yes, you can ask for help on Physics Forums. The community is very helpful and knowledgeable, so don't hesitate to ask questions or seek clarification on a topic.

Are there any rules on Physics Forums?

Yes, there are rules on Physics Forums to ensure a respectful and productive community. These rules include being civil and respectful towards others, avoiding plagiarism, and staying on topic in discussions.