Help, Calculating height of Trapezium

• Thread starter mathsgeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the height of a trapezium with a known base length and area, while also maximizing the height at angles lower than 40 degrees. The equation h=2A/(a+b) is mentioned, but there is confusion about how to use it with two variables, h and the angle. The original poster also mentions using a different value for the area and bottom length to make the problem easier to understand. Eventually, the problem is solved and the conversation is concluded with a request to delete the thread.
mathsgeek

Homework Statement

I know the base of the trapezium is 20km long. I also know the area of it has to be 1x10^5 m^3. I was just wondering how would you be able to calculate the height of the trapezium without knowing the length of the top line, i want to do it so the height is maximised at angles lower than 40 degrees.

I have managed to get to the equation of:
h=2A/a+b where a=base, b=top line

Can somebody please guide me on how i can get to want i need? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean h = 2A/(a+b), the parentheses are needed. You need one of h or b to calculate the other.

Can you explain more precisely what you mean by "the height is maximised at angles lower than 40 degrees"?

Well the slope/angles of the triangles (at either end) must be equal to or lower than 40 degrees. I don't need much help with that as of yet, once I am able to find the height with the known angle that should be fine because ill be able to do it with other angles then. So basically, the bottom length must be 20km long, and the slope of the triangles must not be greater than 40 degrees. Thanks

I somehow think you haven't stated the whole problem. If you assume it is an isosceles trapezoid with angle φ at the bottom, from the geometry you can get the equation:

A = ah - h2cot(φ)

This determines implicitly a relation between h and φ. Put in your numbers for A and a and find the max of h remembering that:

0 ≤ φ ≤ 2π/9

Last edited:
Yeh i forgot to put that up, i got to the equation you showed but didnt know if it was correct. The thing is do i go from there, sub in the values for A and a, as well as the angle and use the quadratic formula to determine the height, because i try this nd get VERY big values. How can i do this because shouldn't i only get one value for h for the equation to meet the desired area and angle range? Thanks

Last edited:
Bump
(Sorry for this but i don't know what time it is over where everyone is (sleeping etc))

Anybody?

"20km long. I also know the area of it has to be 1x10^5 m^3."

Just out of curiosity, what about those units? Area would be in units2, not units3. So you should have written m2. But did you really mean m2 and not km2? Have you tried drawing it to scale?

Last edited:
The area is m^2, but its not km^2.

Just use a different value for the area and bottom length as that might make it easier to explain then ill be able to do the rest by myself with my values.

Bump. How are you supposed to do it when you got two variables in the equation, both h and the angle?

Last edited:
Please delete thread, problem has been solved

Related to Help, Calculating height of Trapezium

What is a trapezium?

A trapezium is a quadrilateral shape with two parallel sides and two non-parallel sides.

How do I calculate the area of a trapezium?

The formula for calculating the area of a trapezium is 1/2 x (sum of parallel sides) x height.

How do I find the height of a trapezium?

To find the height of a trapezium, you can use the formula: (2 x area) / (sum of parallel sides).

What units should I use when calculating the height of a trapezium?

The units used for the height will depend on the units used for the parallel sides. Make sure to use consistent units throughout your calculations.

Can I use the same formula for all types of trapeziums?

Yes, the formula for calculating the height of a trapezium can be used for all types of trapeziums, as long as the shape meets the definition of a trapezium (two parallel sides and two non-parallel sides).