Help calculating the voltage in a capacitor when t->infinite

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the voltage in a capacitor and determining its value at infinity. It is determined that at t=0, Vc(0)=6v and when the switch key is opened, Vc(infinite) will not be zero. Instead, it is suggested to simplify the resistor network and imagine removing the capacitor to determine the voltage it will charge to at t=∞.
lucasLima
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
POeGAa7.png

Hello Everyone!
So, I need to calculate the voltage in the capacitor, let's call it Vc(t).

For t=0- I know that there is no current in the capacitor. Did some calculations and I've found that Vc(0)=6v.
Now i need to know Vc(infinite)

But when the switch key is opened and the time goes to inifinte there is no current going through right? Because the capacitor works as an open circuit when there is no change.
So, is Vc(inifinite)=0?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
lucasLima said:
But when the switch key is opened and the time goes to inifinte there is no current going through right? Because the capacitor works as an open circuit when there is no change.
So, is Vc(inifinite)=0?
It won't be infinite. There's no potential source in the circuit that's that large!

edit: Oops. My apologies, I misread your statement. No, the potential across the capacitor will not be zero.

Suppose you were to remove the capacitor from the circuit and replace it with an ideal voltmeter. What would it read?

Hint: With the switch open and the capacitor removed you should be able to simplify the resistor network. Maybe that will help you see the answer...

Last edited:
When t=∞ the current into/out of the capacitor becomes zero, meaning there will be no current to the capacitor via the resistor network. No current implies no voltage loss across the resistor feeding into the capacitor.

You could imagine removing the capacitor, and seeing what voltage exists where its terminals were; that's the voltage it will charge to by t=∞.

Related to Help calculating the voltage in a capacitor when t->infinite

1. How does the voltage in a capacitor change over time when t->infinite?

As t approaches infinity, the voltage in a capacitor will eventually reach a steady state value known as the maximum voltage. This is because the capacitor will become fully charged and there will be no more change in the voltage over time.

2. What is the formula for calculating the maximum voltage in a capacitor?

The formula for calculating the maximum voltage in a capacitor is V = Q/C, where V is the maximum voltage, Q is the charge stored in the capacitor, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. How does the capacitance affect the voltage in a capacitor when t->infinite?

The capacitance of a capacitor is directly proportional to the maximum voltage that can be stored in the capacitor. This means that a higher capacitance will result in a higher maximum voltage when t approaches infinity.

4. Can the maximum voltage in a capacitor be changed after it has reached a steady state?

No, once a capacitor has reached its maximum voltage at t=infinite, it cannot be changed unless the capacitance or charge is altered. This is because the capacitor is fully charged and there is no more room for the voltage to increase.

5. How does the initial voltage affect the maximum voltage in a capacitor when t->infinite?

The initial voltage in a capacitor has no effect on the maximum voltage when t approaches infinity. This is because the initial voltage is already taken into account when calculating the maximum voltage, and the capacitor will eventually reach the same steady state value regardless of the initial voltage.