Help graphing wave functions and probability densities.

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment involving graphing and plotting equations using Mathematica. The participants are unsure about certain aspects of the assignment, such as whether to use 2-D or 3-D graphs, how to plot multiple variables, and how to manipulate equations. They also discuss different software options for plotting equations. The conversation ends with a clarification on scaling energy values in the equations.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

Screen_Shot004.jpg

Homework Equations

Screen_Shot005.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I felt like the first part wasn't too bad and graphed the potential like so:

Screen_Shot002.jpg

However, to be honest, I'm not even sure if I did that right, as I wasn't sure whether he wanted it as a 2-D or 3-D graph (and I can't even figure out how to graph 2-D in Mathematica). I have a group of 7 of us from class that work together and none of us have ever done anything like this, so we are at a loss? We don't know how to go about plugging the multiple variables (wave function) into Mathematica to get what we want and the instructor gave us no assistance at all. The equations from pg 224 are completely different than the ones given on the homework and none of us know why. We are just completely lost and desperately need help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ascendant78 said:
Well, I felt like the first part wasn't too bad and graphed the potential like so:
I don't think you are expect to do a 3D plot (on which you can't see anything). Here, ##k## turns out to be simply a scaling constant. You can plot everything in terms of ##x/\sqrt{k}##.

Ascendant78 said:
We don't know how to go about plugging the multiple variables (wave function) into Mathematica to get what we want and the instructor gave us no assistance at all.
If you mean plotting many curves on the same plot, simply use {} to specify the list of plots, for example:
Code:
Plot[{x^2, x^3},{x,-10,10}]

Ascendant78 said:
The equations from pg 224 are completely different than the ones given on the homework and none of us know why.
Completely different? They are the same. It is time for you to get accustomed to varying (arbitrary) choices of notation. For instance, can you figure out the relationship between ##b## and ##\alpha##?

Likes Ascendant78
Ok, I'm at a loss as to how 1/2kx^2 would be converted to 1/2x/(sqrt(k)), unless I misunderstood that explanation? Also, I still don't have any idea how to plot in 2-d in Mathematica, nor does anyone else from our group. Is there maybe some free software out there I could do this in that is more user-friendly?

What I meant as far as plotting the wave function, I meant how to plot it with both a variable k and m in the function, as I'm assuming from the homework, he is expecting us to expand b into those components for each of the 3 states? Also, as far as plugging in a value for h, we are not sure whether we should be using the Js value or eVs value of h?

From our best understanding, we think we use the harmonic oscillator function on the quiz and plug in each hermite value for the 3 states. However, we are not sure whether or not we should substitute the "b" value in the exponent with the given value of b=m/k...etc., or just leave b as-is in the function?

Also, yes, we did see what you were saying as far as comparing a to b in the functions. We were just so lost on the graphing concept that we really didn't take the time to try and manipulate the values like that. Thank you for clarifying though.

Ok, so now we are using Graphmatica and things got a lot easier. However, we are still unsure what to do with the potential k for each value of n? The book doesn't seem to show the relation of how k changes with respect to each energy state? Can someone help out please?

Ascendant78 said:
Ok, I'm at a loss as to how 1/2kx^2 would be converted to 1/2x/(sqrt(k)),
Perhaps DrClaude meant x√k.

Likes Ascendant78
haruspex said:
Perhaps DrClaude meant x√k.
Yes, indeed.

But I must apologize since I missed the last line of the assignment, which explicitly tells you you can use ##y=bx## to remove the dependency. If you look, this is exactly what is done in the plot you took from a book: the bottom axis is ##\sqrt{\alpha} x##. Do that, and the dependence on ##k## will go away.

Ascendant78 said:
Also, I still don't have any idea how to plot in 2-d in Mathematica, nor does anyone else from our group. Is there maybe some free software out there I could do this in that is more user-friendly?
As I indicated above, plotting in Mathematica is not very complicated. You can also try plotting in Excel. As for free software, you can try gnuplot (although I wouldn't call it more user-friendly than Mathematica) or Grace. The advantage of Mathematica is that you don't need to calculate discrete numerical values for the functions: just give the equation and Mathematica will plot it.

Ascendant78 said:
Also, as far as plugging in a value for h, we are not sure whether we should be using the Js value or eVs value of h?
You want to scale the energy the same way ##x## is scaled. If you take ##y=bx## and use it in the equation for ##V(x)## to get a function of ##y## instead, you can then find what you need to multiply ##V## by to get something dimensionless.

Likes Ascendant78

Related to Help graphing wave functions and probability densities.

1. How do I graph a wave function?

To graph a wave function, plot the amplitude of the wave on the y-axis and the position or time on the x-axis. The shape of the graph will depend on the specific wave function being used. It is also helpful to label the axes and include a legend if there are multiple wave functions being graphed.

2. What is the difference between a wave function and a probability density function?

A wave function describes the amplitude and phase of a wave at a specific point in space or time, while a probability density function describes the likelihood of finding a particle at a given point in space or time. In quantum mechanics, the square of the wave function gives the probability density function.

3. How do I calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain region using a wave function?

To calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain region, the wave function must be squared and integrated over that region. The integral gives the total probability of finding the particle in that region.

4. What is the normalization condition for a wave function?

The normalization condition states that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible regions of space must equal 1. This means that the integral of the squared wave function over all space must equal 1.

5. Can a wave function have negative values?

Yes, a wave function can have negative values. The square of the wave function, which represents the probability density function, must be positive and can never be negative. However, the wave function itself can have positive, negative, or complex values.