Help trying to build computer lab.

In summary, the speaker is looking to set up a computer lab for a school as an NGO, but is unsure about servers. They would like to have about 20 computers and are considering using either Windows Server or Ubuntu. The answer to their question would depend on their goals, and they are wondering about the cost and funding for the project. They also mention the possibility of setting up a small network with an AD-DS. They ask about the budget for the project.
towuzzi
hello everybody i want to setup up a computer lab for a school as my ngo but i still don't know much about servers and i was hoping i would get some help here

Physics news on Phys.org
about 20 computers and would like to windows server or ubuntu

Any answer really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Actual Windows Server software is expensive isn't it? Who is funding this project?

what exactly is the role for this server?
is it just a plain old file server or are you looking to setup a small network with AD-DS

what is your budget?

Related to Help trying to build computer lab.

1. What equipment do I need to build a computer lab?

To build a computer lab, you will need computers, monitors, keyboards, mice, network routers, and cables. You may also need additional equipment such as printers, projectors, and speakers depending on the intended use of the lab.

2. How many computers should I have in the lab?

The number of computers in your lab will depend on the purpose and size of the lab. For a small lab, 10-15 computers may be sufficient, but for a larger lab or for a lab serving a large group of users, you may need 20 or more computers.

3. How much does it cost to build a computer lab?

The cost of building a computer lab can vary greatly depending on the equipment and software needed. On average, it can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $50,000. It's important to carefully consider your budget and the needs of your lab before making any purchases.

4. What software should I install on the lab computers?

The software you install on your lab computers will depend on the intended use of the lab. At minimum, you will need an operating system, such as Windows or macOS, and basic productivity software like Microsoft Office or Google Suite. You may also need specialized software for specific purposes, such as coding or graphic design.

5. How can I ensure the security of the lab computers?

To ensure the security of your lab computers, you should install antivirus software and regularly update it. You should also set up user accounts and passwords for each computer and restrict access to certain websites or programs if necessary. It's also important to regularly back up important data and have a plan in place in case of a security breach or data loss.