Help using thermodynamic tables

In summary, for the given table containing information on T (temperature), P (pressure), h (specific enthalpy), and x (quality), the objective is to complete the missing values for H20. The first step is to identify two intensive properties, which can be found by referencing the appropriate tables for saturated, compressed liquid, and superheated vapor states. Interpolation may be necessary if the values cannot be directly found on the tables.
alexdeslaurier

Homework Statement

Complete this table for H20:

Homework Equations

T, °C...P, kPa.....h, kJ/kg...x Phase...description
200 ............0.7
......800.....3162.2I just need help getting started, all I have is a packet full of tables and I don't know which to use and when, if someone could give me some general information on solving this type of questions so I can do other ones by myself it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that were supposed to find 2 intensive properties to start but then I don't know what to do since there a lot of tables. Does anyone know how to do this?

You just have to match up the values. If you have a phase it will be in the saturated tables, high pressures in compressed liquid tables, and high temperatures in superheated vapor tables. If you can't find the numbers on the tables then you have to use interpolation.

Related to Help using thermodynamic tables

1. What are thermodynamic tables used for?

Thermodynamic tables are a tool used by scientists and engineers to access thermodynamic properties of substances, such as enthalpy, entropy, and specific heat, at different temperatures and pressures.

2. How do I read a thermodynamic table?

To read a thermodynamic table, locate the substance you are interested in and find the values for the properties at the desired temperature and pressure. These values are typically listed in a table format with columns for temperature, pressure, and the desired property.

3. Are there different types of thermodynamic tables?

Yes, there are different types of thermodynamic tables depending on the specific properties or substances being studied. Some common types include steam tables, refrigerant tables, and tables for specific chemical compounds.

4. Can I use thermodynamic tables for any substance?

No, thermodynamic tables are typically only available for common substances and may not be accurate for lesser known or complex substances. It is important to check the reliability and accuracy of the thermodynamic tables being used.

5. How can I use thermodynamic tables in my research or experiments?

Thermodynamic tables can be a valuable tool in research and experiments, providing important data for calculating energy changes and understanding the behavior of substances. They can also be used to compare different substances or determine the most efficient conditions for a process.