Help with electrostatics : Charging and reconnecting a capacitor .

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionThe solution had this C1= 5uF V1= 24uF therefore = Q1= 120uCC2= 6uF V1= 12uF therefore = Q2= 72uCThen they found out what is called effective potential (thats what confusing me ) . They used this equation V{effective}(C1+C2) = V1C1 - V2C2V{eff} = 4.36 V################################################In summary, the students were trying to solve a problem in which they had to calculate the new potential difference and new charge on two capacitors after connecting them in
nishantve1

Homework Statement

So I came by this question yesterday which was in Solved examples part of my Textbook . I looked at the Solution and was not able to figure out how ?
The Question says .
A 5uF capacitor is first charged by applying a Potential Difference of 24 V . a different Capacitor of Capacitance 6uF is charged by applying a Potential Difference of 12 V . These capacitors are now connected such that the Positive plate of the first capacitor is connected to the Negative Plate of Second Capacitor and vice versa(does this mean they are connected in series or is there a different name for such configuration?) . Find the new Potential Difference and the New charge on the capacitors .

Homework Equations

The only formula used would be Q = CV

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution had this C1 = 5uF V1 = 24uF therefore = Q1 = 120uC
C2 = 6uF V1 = 12uF therefore = Q2 = 72uC

Then they found out what is called effective potential (thats what confusing me ) . They used this equation

V{effective}(C1+C2) = V1C1 - V2C2
V{eff} = 4.36 V
################################################
then they Calculated the V{effective} and the new charges . what I am not able to understand is how did they came by this formula ??
Also when the configuration is like Positive plate is connected to positive and negative to negative(does this mean they are connected in parallelor is there a different name for such configuration?) the effective Potential difference comes out to be 17.45 V . How ? Please explain I just can't get it .
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The +ve to -ve connection means that two anr now connected in series(That is what basic circuitry says)
Let us now analyse the question:

( E means x10 to power)
5uF charged at Pd of 24v
6uF charged at Pd of 12V

The charge stored in the 5uF capacitor = Q1= CV=5E-6 Fx24=1.2E-4C
" " " " " 6uF " =Q2 =CV= 6E-6 x 12= 7.2E-5C
Total charge(Qe)= Q1 +Q2=1.92E-4C ----New Charge
The total Capacitance (Ce)= (C1xC2)/(C1 + C2)= 2 8/11 uF

New PD= Qe/Ce = 70.4019V

Do you now get it friend?

brianonyango said:
The +ve to -ve connection means that two anr now connected in series(That is what basic circuitry says)
Let us now analyse the question:

( E means x10 to power)
5uF charged at Pd of 24v
6uF charged at Pd of 12V

The charge stored in the 5uF capacitor = Q1= CV=5E-6 Fx24=1.2E-4C
" " " " " 6uF " =Q2 =CV= 6E-6 x 12= 7.2E-5C
Total charge(Qe)= Q1 +Q2=1.92E-4C ----New Charge
The total Capacitance (Ce)= (C1xC2)/(C1 + C2)= 2 8/11 uF

New PD= Qe/Ce = 70.4019V
But the Pd across them is not 70.4019 its 4.36 V
http://www.evernote.com/shard/s92/sh/dd550448-5624-437f-a07c-66acce892c66/3eb65a63682c8d778a8b2bd326062c42

you can see that here

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes brianonyango
Oh I am just checking the solution you gave up there. The V effective is the resulting PD across the two Capacitors.
I tend to think that when connected in series, the charge in any two Capacitors tend to oppose one another so that is why they are being subtracted. Oh this is confusing even me now...

I don't know about this effective potential, so if you must understand your solution manual, then I cannot help you.

I would do it this way:

calculate the initial charges on each capacitor from your basic equation Q=CV (as you did)

calculate the equilibrium charge after connection Qeq=|Q1-Q2| (they are subtracted because the negative from one plate partially cancels he positive from the other plate, and vice versa)

calculate the equivalent capacitance of the combination (which would be effectively parallel as far as the resulting voltage is concerned) Ceq=C1+C2

determine the resulting voltage for the resulting combination from your basic equation Qeq=CeqVeq

Related to Help with electrostatics : Charging and reconnecting a capacitor .

What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy.

How can I charge a capacitor?

There are two ways to charge a capacitor: series and parallel. In series, the capacitor is connected in line with a power source, allowing it to charge gradually. In parallel, the capacitor is connected to a power source and another capacitor, allowing it to charge quickly. It is important to use the appropriate voltage and current when charging a capacitor to avoid damaging it.

What happens if I overcharge a capacitor?

If a capacitor is overcharged, it can potentially overheat and explode. This is because the electrical energy stored in the capacitor is converted into heat, and if the heat cannot dissipate quickly enough, it can cause the capacitor to fail. It is important to use caution when charging capacitors and to follow proper safety procedures.

How do I reconnect a capacitor?

To reconnect a capacitor, you will need to first discharge it to avoid any potential electrical shock. Once discharged, you can reconnect the capacitor by connecting the positive and negative terminals to their corresponding components. It is important to ensure that the capacitor is connected in the correct orientation to avoid damaging it.

What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

Capacitors have many uses in electronic circuits, including storing energy, filtering out unwanted frequencies, and smoothing out voltage fluctuations. They can also be used to block DC signals while allowing AC signals to pass through. Capacitors are essential components in many electronic devices and circuits.