Help with lattice hinge calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the claim that n is greater than or equal to 23 when Theta is 90 degrees and t is 3. The calculations indicate that the argument of arccosine in the numerator must be close to 1, but the actual values are 3.1 for the numerator and approximately 4.242 for the denominator. The angle between links is 0.2/3 and the number of links is determined by dividing pi/2 by this angle, resulting in a value of 23.56. This is based on the assumption that 0.2 represents 2*k_laser and 3 represents the thickness.
jamesson
Can anyone confirm the claim on this site that n is greater or equal to 23 when Theta is 90 degrees and t is 3? My calculations indicate that the argument of arccosine in the numerator has to be very close to 1, but the numerator of the argument (k_laset+t) is 3.1 whereas the denominator (2*sqrt(t^2/2)) is approximately 4.242.

Thanks

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
These are all small angles. The bend angle (in radians) from one link to the next will be 0.2/3. This is also the angle subtended by that link on the circle. The number of links is then pi/2 divided by that angle which is 23.56 by my calculation.

Ok, could you please explain how you arrived at that, especially 0.2/3?

EDIT: I'm assuming 0.2=2*k_laser, and 3 is thickness?

That is the arc thru which the "hinge" will sweep to go from flat to circle.

Related to Help with lattice hinge calculations

1. What is a lattice hinge and why is it important in scientific calculations?

A lattice hinge is a type of joint that connects two or more members in a lattice structure. It is important in scientific calculations because it helps determine the stability and strength of the structure.

2. How do you calculate the forces acting on a lattice hinge?

To calculate the forces acting on a lattice hinge, you need to consider the external loads, the geometry of the structure, and the properties of the materials used. This can be done using mathematical equations and principles of mechanics.

3. What factors affect the strength of a lattice hinge?

The strength of a lattice hinge is affected by various factors such as the angle and length of the members, the type and size of the joints, and the material properties. The design and construction of the hinge also play a crucial role in its strength.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my lattice hinge calculations?

To ensure the accuracy of your lattice hinge calculations, it is important to use reliable and accurate data for the external loads and material properties. Double-checking your calculations and using multiple methods for verification can also help improve accuracy.

5. Are there any software programs available for lattice hinge calculations?

Yes, there are various software programs specifically designed for lattice hinge calculations. These programs use advanced algorithms and numerical methods to accurately determine the forces and stresses in the structure. However, it is always important to verify the results manually to ensure accuracy.