Help with law of sines/solving triangles

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving triangles and the use of the sin rule to find missing angles. The first problem involves knowing two angles and one side, while the second problem involves knowing two sides and one angle. The conversation also highlights the relationship between the angles in a triangle and how they can be derived using the sum of the angles in a triangle being 180 degrees. Additionally, it discusses the arbitrary placement of angles in a triangle and how it can affect the calculations.
Niaboc67

Homework Statement

L2ZLKEM.png

Homework Equations

SinA/a = SinB/b = SinC/c

The Attempt at a Solution

a=38, c=44, ∠A = 35°
What I have so far:
sin(35)/38 = sinC/44
44sin(35) = 38sinC
44sin(35)/38 = sinC
sinC = 0.6641
sin^-1(0.6641)
∠C = 41.6º
Is this ∠C1?
After this I don't know how to derivive the rest.
---------------------------------------------
For the second problem:
a = 76, b = 105, ∠A = 29°
sin(29)/76 = sinB/105
105sin(29) = 76sinB
sinB = 105sin(29)/76
sin^-1(0.6698)
∠B = 42.1º
Again, after this point I am lost
I could really use some instruction on how to solve.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know two angles of a triangle what do you know about the third angle?

Oh of course! Euclidean triangles equal 180º therefore for the first one 180-35-41.6 = 103.6º
and the second is 180-29-42.1 = 108.9
What must I figure out after this though?

Your choice of which angle is B is arbitrary right? So what would you choose as B1 so that B1 > B2 ?

If you mean where the angle is placed on the triangle, yeah I think it's arbitrary. If angle B1 is 103.6º and B2 must be larger than I suppose 105º? not sure if I am understanding the question here.

You only have one triangle colum one labels the angles one way and column two labels a different way.

Consider a 30-60-90 triangle and I say A is 90 then B is 30 or its 60 right and which ever you choose then C is the other angle. Your problem is constrained by the sin rule with A and a defined.

Related to Help with law of sines/solving triangles

What is the Law of Sines?

The Law of Sines is a mathematical formula used to solve triangles by relating the lengths of sides to the measure of its angles. It states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of its opposite angle is equal for all three sides of the triangle.

How do I use the Law of Sines to solve triangles?

To use the Law of Sines, you need to know the measure of at least one angle and the length of its opposite side. Then, you can use the formula sin A/a = sin B/b = sin C/c to find the missing sides and angles of the triangle.

Can the Law of Sines be used to solve any triangle?

Yes, the Law of Sines can be used to solve any triangle, whether it is acute, right, or obtuse. However, it can only be used when you know the measure of at least one angle and the length of its opposite side.

What do I do if I am given two angles and one side of a triangle?

If you are given two angles and one side of a triangle, you can use the Law of Sines to find the length of the missing side. Once you have the length of all three sides, you can use the Law of Cosines to find the remaining angles.

Is there a way to check if my answer is correct when using the Law of Sines?

Yes, you can use the Law of Sines to check your answer. Simply plug in the values you found for each side and angle into the formula sin A/a = sin B/b = sin C/c. If your values are correct, the equation will be satisfied.