Help with Physics 11 Kinematics.

In summary, the problem involves a 5.0kg concrete block accelerating down a 34° slope at 4.2m/s^2. To find the coefficient of friction between the block and the slope, we can use the equation Ff=μN and determine the x and y components of the forces acting on the block. The x component can be found using Fgsin34° and the y component can be found using Fgcos34°. We must also take into account the acceleration of the block in our calculations.
aznpiggy

Homework Statement

A 5.0kg concrete block accelerates down a 34° slope at 4.2m/s^2. Find the coefficient of friction between the block and the slope.

Homework Equations

Fg=5*9.8=45

x=45sin30

y=45cos30

The Attempt at a Solution

a=(mgsinθ-Ff)/m → Ff=mgsinθ-ma

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,
Have you drawn your free body diagram? How did you get your x and y components? The question states that the slope is at a 34° angle to the horizontal, not 30°.

Hint: Friction force = μN

Hint 2: Remember to add units to EVERYTHING.

Yes, I have drawn a FBD with x and y components that is perpendicular to the ramp.

I used the Fg to find the x by going Fgsin30°. Which would be the same as Fn.

Where would I go from this step?

aznpiggy said:
I used the Fg to find the x by going Fgsin30°. Which would be the same as Fn.

Why are you using 30° as your angle when it states in the question that it is 34°?

Your x component isn't the same as your y component, which would be the normal force (Fn). You must also consider the acceleration of the concrete block in your calculations.

for reaching out for help with Physics 11 Kinematics. To find the coefficient of friction, we can use the equation Ff=μN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. In this case, the normal force is equal to the weight of the block, which is 45N. Using the equation Ff=mgsinθ-ma, we can substitute in the known values to solve for the coefficient of friction. We get Ff=45sin34°-5kg*4.2m/s^2=14.4N. Then, we can plug this value into Ff=μN to get μ=14.4N/45N=0.32. Therefore, the coefficient of friction between the block and the slope is 0.32. I hope this helps with your homework. Good luck!

Related to Help with Physics 11 Kinematics.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects, including their position, velocity, and acceleration, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the kinematic equations?

The kinematic equations are a set of four equations that can be used to solve for an unknown variable in a kinematics problem. They are:
1) v = u + at
2) s = ut + 1/2at2
3) v2 = u2 + 2as
4) s = (u + v)t/2
where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, t is time, and s is displacement.

3. How do I solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you will need to identify the known and unknown variables, and then use the appropriate kinematic equation to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula based on the type of motion (constant velocity or accelerated motion).

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion. So, an object with a constant speed but changing direction will have different velocities at different points in time.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. This means that if an object's acceleration is positive, its velocity will increase, and if the acceleration is negative, its velocity will decrease. In other words, acceleration determines how quickly an object's velocity is changing, which ultimately affects its motion.