Henderson video: spinfoam approach to cosmology

In summary, Adam Henderson gave a presentation on loop quantum cosmology and spin foams, where he discussed his collaboration with Abhay Ashtekar and their approach of using group field theory to bridge the gap between the two theories. He also mentioned a new parameter that may have physical implications and received valuable feedback from respected physicists during the discussion at the end of his talk. Henderson looks forward to further exploring this area of research and sharing updates in the future.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Henderson gives a good talk. He's been working with Abhay Ashtekar on reformulating loop cosmology as a spinfoam-like path integral---also using GFT (group field theory) where a parameter shows up that may have physical interest (possible connection with the cosmological constant). He got questions from several people including Lee Smolin and Laurent Freidel--discussion at the end added to the presentation.

http://pirsa.org/10050018/
Loop Quantum Cosmology and Spin Foams
Adam Henderson
13/05/2010
"Loop quantum gravity and spin foams are two closely related theories of quantum gravity. There is an expectation that the sum over histories or path integral formulation of LQG will take the form of a spin foam, although a rigorous connection between the two is available only in 2+1 gravity. Understanding the relation between them will resolve many open questions of both theories. We probe the connection through an exactly soluble model of loop quantum cosmology. Beginning from the canonical theory we construct a spin foam like expansion of LQC. This construction reveals a number of insights into spin foams including the nature of the continuum limit."

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear forum members,

Thank you for your interest in my recent talk on loop quantum cosmology and spin foams. I am excited to share some of the new developments in this field and how they may potentially shed light on the nature of quantum gravity.

As mentioned, I have been collaborating with Abhay Ashtekar on reformulating loop cosmology as a spinfoam-like path integral. This approach allows us to bridge the gap between loop quantum gravity and spin foams, and potentially solve some of the outstanding issues in both theories. Our use of group field theory (GFT) has also revealed a new parameter that may have physical implications, particularly in relation to the cosmological constant.

During the discussion at the end of my presentation, I received questions and feedback from esteemed physicists such as Lee Smolin and Laurent Freidel. Their insights and critiques have helped us further refine our approach and deepen our understanding of the connection between loop quantum cosmology and spin foams.

I am excited to continue exploring this fascinating area of research and hope to share more updates with you in the future. Thank you again for your interest and I welcome any further discussions or questions on this topic.

Adam Henderson

Related to Henderson video: spinfoam approach to cosmology

1. What is the Henderson video about?

The Henderson video discusses the spinfoam approach to cosmology, which is a theoretical framework for understanding the origins and structure of the universe.

2. Who is Henderson?

Henderson is not a person, but rather a term used to describe the spinfoam approach to cosmology. It is named after the physicists P. R. Henderson and L. Smolin who first proposed this theory in 2006.

3. What is the spinfoam approach?

The spinfoam approach is a quantum gravity theory that attempts to reconcile the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It uses a network of interconnected points and lines, called a spinfoam, to describe the structure of spacetime.

4. How does the spinfoam approach relate to cosmology?

The spinfoam approach applies the principles of quantum gravity to the study of the universe as a whole. It seeks to explain the fundamental structure and evolution of the cosmos, including the origins of the universe and the behavior of space and time on a large scale.

5. What are the potential implications of the spinfoam approach for our understanding of the universe?

If the spinfoam approach is successful in describing the structure and evolution of the universe, it could provide a more complete and unified understanding of the laws of physics. It may also offer new insights into the nature of space and time and help us answer some of the biggest questions in cosmology, such as the nature of dark matter and dark energy.