Hermitian Function Proof: Correcting a Mistake

In summary, Sudharaka tried to find the equation of a line using the Hermitian form, but got an equation that does not work because he did not use the sesquilinear form.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a problem I encountered. I think there's a mistake in this problem.

Problem:

Let \(f:\,V\times V\rightarrow\mathbb{C}\) be a Hermitian function (a Bilinear Hermitian map), \(q:\, V\rightarrow\mathbb{C}\) be given by \(q(v)=f(v,\,v)\). Prove that following,

\[4f(x,\,y)=q(x+y)-q(x-y)+iq(x+iy)-iq(x-iy)\]

When I find the answer I get,

\[q(x+y)-q(x-y)+iq(x+iy)-iq(x-iy)=0\]

I would be really grateful if someone can confirm my answer. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka, here's what I tried:

$$
q(x+y) - q(x-y) +i q(x+iy) -i q(x-iy)
$$

$$
= f(x+y,x+y) - f(x-y,x-y) +if(x+iy, x+iy) - if(x-iy, x-iy)
$$

$$
= f(x,x) + f(x,y) + f(y,x) + f(y,y) - (f(x,x) - f(y,x) - f(x,y ) +f(y,y)) +i(f(x,x) + if(y,x) + if(x,y) + i^2 f(y,y)) -i(f(x,x) -if(y,x) -if(x,y) -i^2f(y,y))
$$

$$
= f(x,y) + f(y,x) + f(x,y) + f(y,x) - f(x,y) - f(y,x) - f(x,y) - f(y,x) = 0.
$$

I searched a bit in Wikipedia and found Sesquilinear forms. If we use this instead, meaning that the function $f$ is antilinear in the second coordinate, we'd get this on the third line instead:

$$
= f(x,x) + f(x,y) + f(y,x) + f(y,y) - (f(x,x) - f(y,x) - f(x,y) +f(y,y)) +i(f(x,x) + if(y,x) - if(x,y) - i^2 f(y,y)) -i(f(x,x) -if(y,x) +if(x,y) -i^2f(y,y))
$$

$$=f(x,y) +f(y,x) +f(y,x) +f(x,y) -f(y,x) +f(x,y) -f(y,x) +f(x,y) = 4f(x,y).$$

Just as asked. Possibly what he meant as Hermitian function is really the Sesquilinear?

Fantini said:
Possibly what he meant as Hermitian function is really the Sesquilinear?
In the context of a vector space over the complex numbers, Hermitian always means sesquilinear.

Fantini said:
Sudharaka, here's what I tried:

$$
q(x+y) - q(x-y) +i q(x+iy) -i q(x-iy)
$$

$$
= f(x+y,x+y) - f(x-y,x-y) +if(x+iy, x+iy) - if(x-iy, x-iy)
$$

$$
= f(x,x) + f(x,y) + f(y,x) + f(y,y) - (f(x,x) - f(y,x) - f(x,y ) +f(y,y)) +i(f(x,x) + if(y,x) + if(x,y) + i^2 f(y,y)) -i(f(x,x) -if(y,x) -if(x,y) -i^2f(y,y))
$$

$$
= f(x,y) + f(y,x) + f(x,y) + f(y,x) - f(x,y) - f(y,x) - f(x,y) - f(y,x) = 0.
$$

I searched a bit in Wikipedia and found Sesquilinear forms. If we use this instead, meaning that the function $f$ is antilinear in the second coordinate, we'd get this on the third line instead:

$$
= f(x,x) + f(x,y) + f(y,x) + f(y,y) - (f(x,x) - f(y,x) - f(x,y) +f(y,y)) +i(f(x,x) + if(y,x) - if(x,y) - i^2 f(y,y)) -i(f(x,x) -if(y,x) +if(x,y) -i^2f(y,y))
$$

$$=f(x,y) +f(y,x) +f(y,x) +f(x,y) -f(y,x) +f(x,y) -f(y,x) +f(x,y) = 4f(x,y).$$

Just as asked. Possibly what he meant as Hermitian function is really the Sesquilinear?

Opalg said:
In the context of a vector space over the complex numbers, Hermitian always means sesquilinear.

Thanks very much for the reply. I am learning more from MHB than I learn in class. :p

So to confirm, in the case of bilinear maps over complex fields, Hermitian is the same as sesquilinear with the additional constraint, \(f(v,\,u)=\overline{f(u,\,v)}\) for all \(u,\,v\in V\). Am I correct? :)

Sudharaka said:
So to confirm, in the case of bilinear maps over complex fields, Hermitian is the same as sesquilinear with the additional constraint, \(f(v,\,u)=\overline{f(u,\,v)}\) for all \(u,\,v\in V\). Am I correct? :)
Yes. :)

Opalg said:
Yes. :)

Thanks very much, now I understand this perfectly. :)

Related to Hermitian Function Proof: Correcting a Mistake

What is a Hermitian function?

A Hermitian function is a mathematical function that satisfies the property of Hermiticity, which means that it is equal to its own complex conjugate.

What is the significance of a Hermitian function?

Hermitian functions are important in mathematics and physics because they are used to describe systems that have real-valued eigenvalues. This makes them useful in solving many physical problems and in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

What is a proof of a Hermitian function?

A proof of a Hermitian function involves showing that the function satisfies the property of Hermiticity. This can be done by manipulating the mathematical expression of the function and showing that it is equal to its own complex conjugate.

How is a Hermitian function different from a non-Hermitian function?

A Hermitian function is different from a non-Hermitian function in that the latter does not satisfy the property of Hermiticity. This means that a non-Hermitian function is not equal to its own complex conjugate, and therefore cannot be used to describe systems with real-valued eigenvalues.

What are some examples of Hermitian functions?

Some examples of Hermitian functions include the real and imaginary parts of a complex-valued function, the square of a wavefunction in quantum mechanics, and the Hamiltonian operator in quantum mechanics.